Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed to open a rowset

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp22015

Programmer
May 19, 2003
US
All

I have developed a report using version 8.5 without any problem. Once the report runs on version 9, I get the error message "Failed to open a rowset" and "ORA-01417: a table may be outer joined to at most one other table".

I believe that I can handle the situation by creating a view in the database but why this problem doesn't happen in version 8.5? Is there any way that we can handle this problem within Crystal 9? Please advice. Thanks.

HP

Perhaps this is connectivity type related, try changing the Oracle connectivity to a different type/driver.

-k

This is problem we also faced with SQL server, .NEt and CR 9. The actual reason may be different in ur case. But we found that if a stored proc does not bring the result, this happenes. Also if the user does not have privilages to execute the stored proc, this may be also a reason. so
check both the things. In stored proc the last line (select * ....) should be the line vih bring result to the report.

parm

Thank you Virk0009 and Synapsevampire for your help. I decided to go with the option of creating a view to consolidate data instead of creating so many link to tables. The report works fine now.

I don't know should we consider this as a bug for Version 9 or not? Usually, it should be a smooth conversion from a lower version the a higher one.

The lesson that I learn this time to deal with this problem is not to create many Outer Join for tables within Crystal Report. Even though I can create view but I love to see Crystal report to handle the situation by itself.

Again, thank you Virk0009 and Synapsevampire. Take care.

HP

Guys,
I am using VS.Net and the integrated CR bundle that comes with it to develop a report with Interbase 7.0 on the backend. I am using the EasySoft ODBC driver for Interbase to connect to the database. This report works absolutely fine on the machine that it was originally developed. When I move this report to a production machine or move the code and the report to another development machine CR chokes and spits out a "Failed to Open a rowset" message. From my research BusinessObjects says that it is a known issue with the version of CR that I am using but they do not have a solution for this(Go Figure!). I would appreciate if someone could shine a little light on this thing. Thanks

Do you have the latest hotfixes and updates applied?

There have been a lot of corrections to CR9 using stored procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back