Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed linux (Unbuntu) boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garvie

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2005
CA
I just finished installing Ubuntu on Virtual Pc at my school. Had to some configuration edits to complete this setup. But none the less it worked!!! with a succesfull boot. Then I take my external drive home where I keep the vmc files and I get an error when booting up!!??? Could somebody please help me with this problem... For some reason its causing me alot of stress! btw the error msg is......... <o> Kernel panic - not syncing: attempting to kill idle task. Thank you anyone who give me any type of advice

Garvie

Does your PC at home and at school have different processors? It sounds like the virtual machine may have been built with a specific processor oriented kernel, to fix it you'd need to switch to another kernel. (or install a fresh version at home.)

- Bob Comer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back