Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed Install on RAID5 array

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleonard3

MIS
Jan 24, 2003
US
I am in contact w/SCO, but they have not been able to provide much guidence, so perhaps someone else has experienced this/similar problem and can provide some assistance/guidance.

Just purchased OpenServer 5.0.6, installing on Dell PowerEdge 2600 Xeon. Using SCO-certified Intel SRCU-32U RAID controller w/SCO-provided BTLD. Drives are 3-18gb configured in RAID5 array, total of 34gb available.
I am linking the Intel BTLD at beginning of installation routine. Within install software routine SCO properly sees one 34gb drive available for installation. After using Interactive mode to configure a 3gb root partition and 31gb /u partition, installation routine completes. However, at reboot I receive error operating system not found.

In addition, just prior to reaching install 'boot:' prompt (and before linking the Intel driver), monitor displays this error:
Error on Fixed Disk (minor 0), blkno=0, cmd=0002 status=0001,
Sector = 0, cylinder/head = 0/0
Boot detected 2 fixed disk drives
Drive 0080: Detected
Drive 0081: Detected

This error is not returned if I boot with another O/S such as Windows 2000, so I have to conclude it is the SCO installer that is throwing this error.

The RAID configuration software is pretty straight forward, and the display messages at boot properly show that the 3 drives are 1 logical drive. Since the installer can see the 34gb partition and believe it is writing to it makes me think the RAID config is not the problem.

Driver link routine is that which is documented by Intel:
1. boot: link
2. srch (text when naming btld-file)
3. insert diskette with SCO-provided configuration files

So, does anyone have ideas on this they can share with me? I would appreciate it.

Bill

It is unlikely that the problem has anything to do with the RAID itself. Have you checked for more current btld files for the controller on Intel's website?

Problem resolved - unrelated to Intel or SCO. Onboard Perc4/Di controller (no SCO driver, hence Intel) was being seen as first boot device in spite of defining Intel as device Lun0. Thanks for the response.
Bill

Help! I just purchased a Poweredge 2600 with the RAID Perc4?Di controller, and am unable to load SCO Unix 5.0.6 as well. What did you do to get it loaded? I've tried several different Drivers, but there seems to be none that work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The person who originally opened this post was not using the onboard Perc4/Di as their boot controller. Their problem was due to a conflict between the onboard controller and the one they were actually trying to use. I presume they resolved the problem by disabling the onboard controller, which would not be helpful to your situation because you want to use the onboard controller.

Have you contacted Dell technical support? If the controller is SCO compatible, they should provide you with a driver and the proper install instructions.

Thanks everyone for your replies. After 3 days of calls I have confirmed there are no drivers for the Perc4/Di. LSI is blaming SCO and I'm being told that it will probably be August or later that these drivers come out. That leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. I don't want to spend a fortune on a contoller that I won't need in 6 months, but I need something. Dell offers the Perc3/DC for $499, which is an Ultra 160 contoller, but I need to make sure SCO will run on that. I also assume the Adaptec Ultra 320 controllers, the 2200S and the 2120S will work on Dell, but since SCO hasn't certified them yet, I'm still left wondering. Any suggestions from anyone?
Thanks

Don't spend too much money for the "gold star" from SCO. There are many non-certified controllers that will work just fine. What is important is being able to get SCO drivers for them.

I personally tend to favor Adaptec controllers because I've had good luck with them. On my current system I am using an ADAPTEC 3200S RAID controller, which us an Ultra 160 dual channel controller, with 128M onboard cache. The performance is unbelievable, and I have never had any problems with the controller.

My recommendation to system administrators is to avoid buying servers with onboard SCSI controllers. You can usually get far superior stand alone controllers than the onboard ones, and it is easier to avoid compatibility issues, or to replace them if an issue arises without having to scrap the entire server.

Before you commit to getting a cheap controller and waiting for a compatible driver in 6 months, take a look at what is out there. You may be better off abandoning the Perc4 for something else.

apeasecpc, thanks for the suggestion. I'm kind of coming to that same conclusion. With the deal I got, I only paid $150 for the controller, so if it doesn't work out, there's minimal damage. I'm looking at the adaptec 3200s as well as the 3210s. Do you know anything about the Perc3/DC? I found a fairly good price on that-I believe it's the AMI elite 1600 rebranded.
Thanks

I haven't used the Perc3/DC to be able to give you any evaluation. Perhaps someone else here has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back