Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed Drive Hot Spare

Status
Not open for further replies.

driddickemc

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2004
US
How do you find the hot spare that kicked in for a failed drive. The fail drive shows up as removed.

TIA

From Navi .. right click on the disk array and click on disk summary. That should tell you what you need to know.

The hot spare will only kick in for drives in a Raid 1, 10, 3 or 5 configuration. So, if you have bound a single drive..no hot spare.. if you have bound a raid 0 stripe.. no hot spare.

The question then would be... is the hot spare size adequate to fill in for the failed drive?

Is there really a hot spare bound? It should say it is a hot spare in Navi. Is it in the right slot? In fibre Clariion. The hot spare must be in slot 9 (the right most disk) of the DPE. Disks 0 thru 8 are vault disks and must be installed.

There are some issues with some versions of flare that can cause hot spare problems. Go to Navi, right click on the sp, select properties and get the model and code levels. Let me know what they are and I'll see what i can find out.
-----
Just to clear up terminology a bit.. DAE is an expansion chassis and has no storage processors installed. DPE is the enclosure that contains the storage processors. It is the DPE that defines what type of Clariion you have.

-----
Is there some reason you are not replacing the failed drive?
It will rebuild when it is replaced with or without the hot spare unless the raid group has more than one fault.

We just upgraded to 16 code. Yes I know what a DAE and DPE is .. We have 15 slot DAE's..

navicli -h xxx getdisk -type hs

Bus 1 Enclosure 0 Disk 14

Type: 510: Hot Spare

Hot Spare: 510: YES

Hot Spare Replacing: Inactive

Sorry... sometimes you don't know what the other person's knowledge might be.
OK..so a cx series box with the latest and greatest code.
Try looking at the hardware.
I assume the raid group with the bad drive is functional on the remaining members of the group. Has the hot spare been replaced? Have you tried replacing the bad disk? One of the LCC's may be in a funky state. I've heard recently that LCC cables with silver ends have an issue. That came from the folks at Dell. There may be some kind of back end issue in the Clariion. I'd suggest requesting an emc tech to come out and take a look.

Yes I understand and I don't take it personally. Yes the CE finally made it out and basically the drive recovered from it's own failure and therefore to the Array it didn't look as if it was fail thus not invoking the hot spare. But it still showed up as failed in Navi manager. .and had a amber light on the DAE.. Just strange

I have run across a similar scenario. Both amber and green lights on the module were lit and the drive looked as though it was functioning. In my case it was isolated to a faulty power supply but I suppose it could be an lcc as well since that is responible for monitoring the drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back