Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

qz01gs

Technical User
Jun 28, 2005
GB
Well I tried the CCNA for the first time on Tuesday and it was a tough one. I had probably 35 questions on one particular topic! What should my strategy be for the re-take? I took the 1 exam and found bits of it straight forward but I just got killed with so many questions on one particular topic. Is this common on cisco exams to focus heavily on certain areas? Is it worth giving the two part exam a go?

qz01gs,

Hard to advise you with limited info.

What part did they focus on?

What is your background?

How did you prep for the CCNA?

What books or practice tests did you use?

Did you do hands-on labs? Did you do "labs" on real routers and switches or a sim?

I have always liked the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd L. as a book.

I think the Cisco Press/Boson router sim is one of the best sims out!

I love the CBT Nuggets but they are not cheap!

I have posted previous posts with links to 2 free CCNA lab books (over 350 pages each - pdf file).

I have also posted info on the website for subnetting help!

Tell us a little more and we can help direct you!

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hi I got hammered on VTP/STP/Switching. I have my own lab at home so am confident with regards commands etc. I have been reading Cisco press and Sybex. I just didn't expect like 80% of questions on one area! I basically got no questions on RIP,IGRP<EIGRP or OSPF! So am just going to really read up on some key areas and try again in two weeks. Am from the UK but I find it strange that people all over the world seem to have had the exact same exam as me recently.

That was my exact problem.

After failing the first time I focused on the domain name and realized that in a lot of the answers, the domain names were improperly named. They must all be named exactly the same, even the case of each letter must be the same.

ah jeez sorry to hear that i actually started to read my ccna icnd book today i'm halfway done then was going to review and take the 1 ccna exam. Is this what you took or you took the intro and the icnd separate?

ciscoguy33 do you mind posting those links or replies that you mentioned I would like to review your suggestion and recommendations. i remember your name and you answering one of my questions before you were very helpful. Thanks.

Am from the UK but I find it strange that people all over the world seem to have had the exact same exam as me recently"

When I sat my exam I failed first time, I resat 1 week later and 3/4 of the questions where exactly the same! so I think they only makeup so many exams and pool from them

Visit for free Cisco rack access.

Reading forums the Sims seem to be the same for a period of weeks.

Well failed three weeks ago but today improved my previous score by 160 points and a pass so I am very happy.

thanks hate those spanning protocol questions!!!!!!!!!!

Did you find a heavy focus on a particular subject area like the last time?

It wasn't as concentrated this time, I think it was a fairer exam the prvious one was a joke you could have passed the exam by just reading a couple of chapters!

>I basically got no questions on RIP,IGRP<EIGRP or OSPF!

Funny I took the test today and guess what the focus was eigrp ripv2!!!! I got 740 what a bummer!!!!!

Its tough when they hammer you on a certain theme. I think to pass CCNA you:

1)Need an element of luck that one of your better subjects does come up
2)Know the book inside out and have hands on knowledge of routers, especially all those output screens.

What was your score breakdown? How did the sim go?

I failed CCNA first time with a score lower than yours and passed 2nd time.

Good luck

I failed the CCNA first time and was a bit shocked that it was so hard. I passed second time round by making sure I really understood the material.

Thats the tip, you really need to know it all and knuckle down and work on those fuzzy areas.

..EB

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

"Captain A.J. Rimmer, Space Adventurer!"

I took the CCNA about a month ago and I was hammered with OSPF and ACLs. Scored 825. I think what killed me, I thought about this after I got home, was an OSPF and an IP NAT simulation. I simply had a brain fart with these. The OSPF sim required me to turn off OSPF with the 'no router ospf' command before correcting the network statements and the NAT sim, for some strange reason I didn't apply the 'ip nat inside/outside source' to the interfaces. Arrrgh!!
The Cisco Press, Sybex and Exam Cram2 was helpful as well as the three 2500 routers and 1924/2820 switches that I have. Some of the switching questions will be based on the 2950 with which I have hands-on experience at work.

Going to try again on Saturday

I just took the exam recently, and while it was very tough (the toughest of all Cert exams I've ever taken), it was pretty fair and spread out among the topics. I managed a decent passing score on my first try, but I was sweating bullets the whole time.

My understanding is that, if you miss a question, the test later gives you more questions on the same subject. Someone here equated it to "sharks in bloody water" :) . Luckily, I've had a lot of practical experience with switches and routers, fixing all sorts of problems at work.

Hey wildmagpie8,

That's not true about the Shark's in the Bloody water analogy. The amount of questions and the specific questions you will be asked are predetermined. However, the pool of questions that can be asked from is quite extensive, over thousands. You'd be suprised though how one question can be reconstrued 35 different ways to read pretty much the same thing.

I've taken classes with instructors who wrote for Cisco exams. I hear so many misconceptions all the time.

I love Cisco tests. They are generally very fair and do an excellent job of testing your knowledge both theoretically and in a hands on fashion, albiet limited.

I think the sims are very limited, they only change every three months!

Wrote the CCNA this morning. This time I was bombarded with switching technologies and NAT. Passed with a 922. Saw what appeared to be the same questions on a number of occasions but the wording was slightly different. The answers even looked the same. I'm not sure about the concept that if you miss a question, the test later gives you more questions on the same subject. It appeared to have stayed with the technology types (Switching and NAT in this case) but hopped from P&D to Troubleshooting to I&O to Technology and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back