Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

failed boot, get

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedjones

Vendor
Dec 26, 1999
US
installed rh on nt machine linux won't boot past LI and can't get nt to boot either what can i do to get nt back <br>

i have tried all of my emergency disks but stuck on LI ?<br>

could anyone help?

I don't know why your emergency disk are failing unless you just copied you existing files onto the floppy and they were corrupted.<br>
<br>
The LI message means the first stage loader wasn't able to load the second stage loader. This usually means boot.b or the kernel has been moved without rerunning lilo.<br>
<br>
The boot loader only knows the location of the files on the harddrive. Rewritting the file or copying a new version into the directory is not enough, you must run lilo each time you move any of these files.<br>
<br>
Of course you really want to know how to recover the system. First NT. You have probably got some garbage in the Master Boot Record. Try booting to a MSDOS floppy and run FORMAT /MBR. That should recover the MBR.<br>
<br>
Next Linux. Boot from the CDROM that came with your distro. It should have an option for starting an installed system. Choose that option to start your system.<br>
<br>
You will have to setup lilo again. <br>
<br>
Hope this helps. <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

Some times the old grey matter gets a little slow.<br>
<br>
If you are booting from a floppy you shouldn't be seeing the LILO message. Did you forget to set your BIOS to look at the floppy drive first? <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>

Looks like goofed on the command for fixing the MBR. It should be FDISK /MBR. <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>

I think I know what your problem <i>most likely</i> is; if you have a larger HDD (&gt;=2GB) then you'll need to install LILO to a bootable partition of your HDD that is &lt;9692cyl in size; otherwise you'll keep getting a stuck computer after the &quot;LI&quot; portion of the &quot;LILO&quot; message; this is because the current LILO bootloader is <i>NOT</i> fully compatible with HDDs that are &gt;9692cyl in size.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back