Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed Backup-due to corrupt Outlook 10 Message Manager 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC61832

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
US
The exchange backup will not run due to a message in one of our users mailboxes. Outlook 10 Message Manager is the message name, but it is no were to be found in the users mailbox. Has anyone ever seen this before, and what does it mean?

I have yet to find a solution to this problem. I really have come up with nothing. I have researched extensively and have made not head way. Let me know if you come up with anyting.

Yo everyone!

The reason for the Outlook Message Manager message is due to a difference or discrepancy between the Exchange server side rules and the Outlook inbox client side rules. The rules are out of sync. I can't find the MS Q article right now....it's on my other computer at the office, I will post it by tonite.

Cheers!

Hi JC61832,

We had this problem, and I came across your post. Now I've cracked it, I thought I'd come back and try and help.

Man, joining tek-tips is a pain!

OK, so, what you want is MS KB Q320022 here:
It'll need your Exchange 2000 CD. When I run up the tool for the corrupt mailbox and drilled down through top of info store to inbox, the user had 2 Outlook 10 Message Manager items. I deleted them both using the DeleteMessages() gizmo. Next time they log on, they seem to get a new one and everything backs up OK.

It didn't even seem to knock out the rules.

I hope this helps. It's a pain when the whole backup "fails" for one item in one mailbox.

Cheers,
Hal.

Thank you Halibut!

I've been following this post for awhile now and just now saw your addition. It worked like a charm...well kinda...I had to tweak the MS instructions a bit.

Until now, I had to deselect the Outlook Message Manager items in Veritas in order to get a successful backup. In fact, you will only see the messages in question in Veritas, you cannot see them on your Exchange server.

About the client/server being out of synch, this user had no rules set up in his Outlook, so perhaps that's one reason but not the only reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back