Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fail to backup Citrix database file

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsmart

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2005
CA
I received the following error message, when I run the " dsmaint backup c:\temp\mf20.dbf " to backup the citrix database

Error: can not copy database file

please advice

thanks

Henry

Which operating system are you using?
I have never backed up the database on the way you describe. I have the data store for our terminal server farm located on a MS SQL server, and take backup of that one ... and the LHC on every server. My best guess here would be that it is some kind of file lock on the database when you try to back it up ... and that this is the reason for the backup to fail.

If you are using Windows 2000, you could try to stop the IMA service, and then perform the same procedure. Alternatively you can use a third party backup software with some type of open file option, that lets you perform the backup while the database is online. If you are using Windows 2003 as the server OS, you can try to perform the backup with the built-in backup program in the operating system, and perform it with the shadow copy service, which in reality would let you do the backup as if the file where unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back