Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fading Connection Speed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

291er

MIS
Jan 7, 1999
CA
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why upon connection to an ISP, a modem would begin to degrade its connection speed until it reaches 0bps, then disconnects from the ISP?

This appears to be something in either the telco line or the protocols, most likly the protocols. Would need more info to give any suggestions.<br>
<br>
What OS are you using?<br>
What brand of modem?<br>
What is the initial connection speed?<br>
Are you connecting with PPP or SLIP?<br>
<br>
Have Fun :)<br>
Sterling

Actually this question was in assistance to my brother. He is running Win98, with a Cyrrus Winmodem 56K V.90. Initial connection speed is anywhere between 45000bps and down to 33000 or less depending on time of day, conditions etc, then fading to 0. I believe the connection is PPP. The ISP claims to support V.90, but it appears that they don't have sufficient lines to support customer base. Also we are having a real hard time getting the modem to configure to COM 1 or 2 with IRQ 4 or 3 and the corresponding I/O addresses. Perhaps you have some suggestions in this area as well. The computer is a Cyrix 233, 32MB RAM, 4.0GB HD, onboard video and sound. One problem may be that the video chipset is using IRQ3, while IRQ9 is not in the IRQ list in Computer properties control panel.

Not knowledgeable about Winmodems, simply never liked them.<br>
A Winmodem uses some of the computers CPU resources to simulate what a real modem does with hardware. See if he gets the same results when dialing to anouther computer or to a BBS, at least you'll know which end is the culprit.<br>
<br>
Insure that Com1 and/or 2 are disabled in your BIOS setups.<br>
Most likly your computer thinks they are already in use.<br>
You may also need to reserve the IRQ's in the PnP part of BIOS to ensure a different PnP card isn't getting the IRQ assinged before the modem is even initialized. Most of the modern BIOS settings allow you to turn off the assigning of an IRQ to the Video adapter, if yours allows this just turn it off, the Video doesn't need it.<br>
<br>
If I remember correctly IRQ9 is slaved to IRQ2 for timing purposes (I think ?), anyway it's not a usable resource.<br>
<br>
Have Fun :)<br>
Sterling

Well, first off: I don't wish to insult anyone with my suggestion; but I have made this mistake myself :)<br>
<br>
He might want to be SURE he has the modem installed in a 32-bit PCI port; and not a regular port (inside the computer); the PCI ports are the shorter ones & the others (can't remember the name right now) are wider, 16-bit, and SLOOOOOooooower!)<br>
<br>
<br>
not sure if this will help or not; just a sugestion<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back