Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fada modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

den21

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
MY
Has anyone ever heard of a modem brand called fada.I'm trying to look for it's 33.6kpbs version modem driver but to no success.I've even tried searching it in driver guide but there is no success to it.I know that this brand of modem existed but it is quite old and the site that i went to is very very outdated.

I am sorry I can't help you with your search for the driver.

But, have you tried to install the device manually using the Standard 33.6kbps driver in windows?

Start
Settings
Control panel
Add New Hardware
Next
Next
No, I want to select the hardware from a list
select Modem
Next
check the Don't detect my modem, I will select it from a list
Next

In the left pane: select (Standard Modem Types)

In the right pane: select Standard 33600 bps modem

Then continue with the installation from the prompts.

Please post back with any updates.

Regards.
It not what you say but how you say it that counts...apparently.

Thanks for the quick responds.I did use the standard
33.6kbps modem driver supplied by windows but then in the device manager there is an unknown device extension that keeps pooping out when i use that driver.I've never seen this kind of thing happening before.I ran diagnostics test on the modem and everything looks ok.But when i try and connect it to the internet it always gave me an error message saying the computer you are dialing into is not answering.I did make sure that the ISP is not down on that day and while connecting the modem it makes this clicking sound that it shouldn't be making.
I've also tested this modem on another PC and still the same problem.I'm running windows98se.Please i'm running out of ideas and i need help with this.

HI,
This unknown extension that keeps pooping out, is it under the modem section? is it appended to your modem? is your modem showing? Have you tried to go through the install procedure from that position ie. click on the tab and update the driver using the 33.6kbps driver as mentioned above?

Also, is the modem configured correctly - have you got it set to pulse Rather than for Tone?

What settings are enabled on your modem settings etc.

I am presuming from what you are saying that the modem is hearing the tone on the phone line and is attempting to dial out - please confirm this by checking that the modem is set to wait for the dial tone before dialing.

hopefully (he said crossing his fingers) you just need to change the modem signal to tone rather than pulse.

Please post back - I am not very far away for the next 90mins - things are steady at work, then off to the pub ;-)

Regards. It not what you say but how you say it that counts...apparently.

Yeah the modem is configure correctly.The unknown device extension is under the other devices tab and not appended to the modem.Maybe it is missing a driver file or something that it needs to work.All settings are normal and i did not change any of it.

Hmmm, it could be you need to install the dialup adapter.

It doesn't matter that you may already have a dialup adapter in your network settings - if there is one, it is either the correct one (which means the following bit was pointless) or it is one from a previous modem. Installing a new one will not do any harm.

Go to the unknown device and go through the steps outlined above.

But instead of installing a modem you need to install a Network Adapter. Select Microsoft from the list of manufacturers in the left pane and choose Dialup adapter in the right pane - Click ok - then click finish - Then reboot.

Let us know how you get on.

If it still doesn't connect - then delete all instances of dialup adapter and reinstall it - you could do that first if you wish.

I went ahead with what you suggested.I'm using windows xp and i think there is no dial up adapter listed in the the network adapters list.Is it the same with direct parallel.I tried direct parallel and it didn't work.I think now the error message that it gives me when i tried to connect to the internet is the remote computer is not responding.Should i try something else or has my modem expire

Hi,
I am not familiar with "Windows XP" (the handle may give that away). What do you mean by "direct parallel"?

Have you managed to install a DIALUP adapter????

Is your modem set for pulse or tone dialing?
Is it set to wait for a dial tone before dialing?

If you are having no joy I would suggest you need to spend a few shekels buying a modem of at least 56K V.90 protocol.

If, having followed the above steps you cannot get the modem to talk to the internet, I would be doubtful of the modems condition.

Even if you can get a driver for the modem - it would only give adequate service as a fax machine (144400bps). As a device connecting to the internet you would be looking at a very slow connection rate - around the 24000bps rate(approx), half the speed of a 56000bps modem.

Sorry things haven't worked out.

As far as your driver goes you could open it up and get the make and name of the modem chipset then look them up some other modem drivers with the same chipset may work. My modem is an Ambient but the driver is a Cirrus, but both have the same chipset. hope this may help you. If your unsure....Dont do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back