Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

F825c -> EMC connectrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

boydave

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
GB
Hi,
I'm trying to find whether a NetApps filer (F825c) can be be attached to an EMC ED64m connectrix switch (really a McData 6064 I think) in a supported configuration. But I can't find anything about NetApps on the EMC support matrix.
Any help ?

BD

NetApp is a file server, a NAS.. NAS stand for Network Attached Storage, it uses (ussualy) ethernet interfaces, NOT FC. EMC ED64 is a fabric switch solution, not ethernet switch.

Hope this helps.

Some confusion at the moment.
I want to be able to attach the filer to a SAN so I can do off-site backups using NDMP. It's this component that I need to know which filer HBAs can be attached to an EMC connectrix without upsetting the support on it....

All right, I understand what are you trying to do... so does the NetApp support FC in order to connect a Tape backup now? (last time I saw this boxes was only SCSI for tapes, just couriosity)

Ok, I guess that a FC is possible now in the NetApp filer... does this HBA (in the filer) support fabric config? (I mean no FC-AL). If this support fabric, then you could connect the NetApp to the switch...

Will you connect the netapp to a tape library?

There is no compatibility certification in EMC with NetApp filers and I think it will never be... ;o)
You could ask the compatibility matrix both McData and NetApp.

My guess: if you can configure the FC HBA in the NetApp as FC-SW then you are done!! you create the zone to connect the tape and done.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back