Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

F8 is being ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarlyle

Technical User
Mar 27, 2007
I am trying to boot in safe mode by pressing F8 but it is being ignored. Any ideas?

Are you running scsi drives by any chance?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

No, not scsi drives. I am beginning to think that some company scripting might be involved, but I am not sure.

Are you using a USB keyboard? Can you get into the system BIOS? If yes to both of these, then make sure the USB settings are enabled in the BIOS.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thanks, I will try that on Monday.

I think IllogicallyLogical is on to the right answer with the USB keyboard. Just a simple FYI here as I do not know your technical level. If your computer will support (and you have one) simply plug in a PS2 keyboard and see if this makes a difference. Make sure that the computer is off when you plug the keyboard in (for both power issues and to make sure it is properly recognized).

You can also start pressing the F8 key as soon as you start seeing the text on your screen during boot. Just tap the button every 2 seconds. I have had to do this in the past as some system seem to have a little trouble getting into the boot menu for whatever reason.

Hope this helps.

John

Also if you have a keyboard that has an F Lock key make sure the F keys are activated by hitting the F Lock once.

It is the USB as previously mentioned. Just had the exact same issue.

I had to go into the BIOS and enable USB support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back