Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

F1 and F10 Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

USSRCommie

Technical User
Feb 20, 2005
US
Alright just a little background on the Proliant server I have and what I'm trying to do. Its Proliant ML370 with dual P3 800's and 1.8gb of ram. I bought it from where I work and they stripped out all of the SCSI drives for use in other servers. Since SCSI drives are real expensive, I wanted to use some IDE drives I have lying around. So I took out the SCSI Array card that was in the server and replaced it with a Promise Ultra66 IDE Controller card. Now it works fine and I can install and run Windows 2000 Server with out any problems, however every time I reboot the server, I receive a message during POST that says Press "F1" key to continue. Press "F10" key for System Partitions Utilities. Is there any way to just remove this message from ever showing up? I downloaded the SmartStart 5.5 CD from HP, but I cannot find anything that will let me disable that message. I guess I can live with it being after I hit F1 I can get into Windows and the server works fine, but it is real annoying to need to press F1 everytime I reboot. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Press F9 and go to advanced options, there is a setting there to disable the F1 prompt.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Hey Norton thanks for the quick response. However I never see an open prompt where I can push the F9 key. I am not a noob at all when it comes to working with BIOS and computers, yet there is never a time where I get a message that says Hit F9 to enter BIOS. The only way that I have seen that I can get into a BIOS type screen is with the SmartStart CD. I don't know what I'm missing. But to just help you out, here is a play by play of what I see when I turn on the server:

+Turn on Server
+It takes about 5 to 10 seconds after the power button is pressed for the monitor to come on and for me to see the Compaq Proliant logo. (My guess would be it takes a little time for the ECC ram to zero everything out?)
+I then receive a message that says Compaq System BIOS P17 (12/18/2002)
+Then the memory test begins
+Then the two P3's are initialized
+My Ultra66 card then detects the attached IDE drive
+Then the onboard SCSI controller searches for SCSI drives (I know that I can probably turn this off being I'm not using any SCSI devices)
+Finally I receive the message about "F1 and F10"

I do not get prompted anywhere to press the F9 key so I am at a loss. Any additional help would be greatly appricated.

PS: Also if you need more information or I can even take a video of the process and upload it to the web for you to see whats going on. Thanks.

the system will F1 you only if there is a problem. Just bypassing it wont address the issue. I would suggest fixing the problem, rather than ignoring it and making the symptom go away.

however, to make the F1 prompt go away, f10 into the system utiities. on the first screen, press CTRL+A to get into advanced mode. Then run the SCU. I forget exactly what the option is called, but you will see it now that you have done the CTRL+A thing. Its like "disable F1 on error" or something ... its been a along time. Im phasing out all my old EISA partition systems with RBSU PIII+ systems.

- LC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back