Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

F Connectors - What to get? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaveyPhones

Technical User
Dec 5, 2003
US
I'm installing all the cable (voice, data, and coax) in my bosses new house. The voice and data is no problem but I'm a little concerned about the coax. Over the years I've just used the old fashioned crimp on F connectors, but have noticed that the satellite dish and cable installers use gear that looks a lot better. Should I be looking at something else? New connectors and tool? The company will pay for whatever I recommend so... Last thing I want is the owner of the company to be unhappy when he's trying to kick back and watch the tube.

Richard Morris

This is like asking which is better 66 or 110....

My personal preferences based on tests I have seen and ease of installation is Digicon connectors. Made by:

The great thing about Digicon is that with one tool, you can terminate F, BNC, RCA, and now they have all-in-one designs for F and RCA that make installation faster and cost less for materials.

But this is a personal preference thing to a certain extent, so check them all out and way the pros and cons.

When AT&T went looking for the best F connector out there, they decided that the Digicon was the first choice.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I'd take Thomas and Betts over digicon any day. Digicon is better like Servamatic said if you're doing RCA and all of that business... but if you're a true cable installer, and want to get the job done -- get a T&B T1000 stripper/crimper and a their snap and seal fittings, and you're ready to roll. They're environmentally sealed, extremely fast, consistant, and best of all -- cheap and readily available.

They're the most popular with CATV companies, and that's for a good reason.

Look at the Pass& Seymour line of jacks and face plates. you can install all of your voice,data,audio,and cable tv in the same faceplate. It is under the active line. Very nice looking installation.

Mikey

I agree with the above posts, Digicon or Thomas&Betts connectors, are the the best bet for what your installing. Like AvayaNovice said the T&B T1000 terminating tool is a complete tool for cutting and terminating a rg6 cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back