Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EZ-RJ45 Question 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmj

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
US
Has anyone used one of these? It seems too good to be true, the connectors are a bit expensive, but if this tool works then it could be very cost effective solution, you may actually break even making patch cords!!

I have to agree that it's not that hard to put together CAT5 cables and have them test well. I will disagree that CAT6 cables are easy to assemble and pass a test. That final amount of twist in the connector is a bear. I've seen connectors that supposedly make it easy but I've not tried them. I would say that if someone was going to the effort of CAT6 then they shoull be putting in a complete system, patch panels, wiring, connectors etc which will come with a warrenty.

MikeS

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

Factory all the way!!"

Yeah - I used to keep a box of "Factory" cables that failed testing. Now I just cut them in half and throw them away.

have never had a factory cable out of bag fail were do you
buy your patch cables?

Actually I did get one bad one from Startech. The little clip wasn't popping up properly and caused me a lot of headache because of the bad connection...

I have had very good luck with icc's product have been
using from 1994 on!!

I always liek to test with the patch cords that will be used in place

I agree with cwc3 I haqve3 only run accross acouple of bad factory cords over the years

I am leary of this device. I have repaird to many crimps (not) untwisted too close to and packed into the strain relief and pairs shorted when the crimp bar is laid down on them.

Every couple of months a certain school would have a "phone problem" and as soon as the my marked van appeared (I try to park out-of-sight) their I.T. guy would be waiting with a box or two of Factory patch cables for me to test. At least one in twenty would be bad-and Yes, the school was to cheep to buy him a tester, fix phones, OK. Anyway, we trust our crimps everywhere else-why not for patches? Never been bit.

Why is there never a phone in any of the phone closets?

I agree stick with the factory cables and test them! I just troubleshot a network (peer-to-peer, only 4 machines) which had given the owner trouble from day one. the patch cable between the wall and one machine had one of the metal ends sticking up approx 1cm. The same machine also had a bad nic, and the switch was also bad. As if that weren't enough, code hadn't been followed and plenum cable had not been strung through the walls, just regular UTP Cat 5e. the switch hung by the wires from the patch panel, the network used the guest accounts to connect to the "server" and (btw, this was a tax preparation office) there were no passwords on any of the customer files, no virus protection, and no firewalls. before I could even start checking the wiring, I had to check for viri so that I could keep the network running long enough to troubleshoot it! These were home made patch cables, not factory, and they were poorly done.

Another good reason for having the factory cables, as a woman, I am not strong enough to crimp cables that I would trust to use on my own network, much less on anyone elses! I use a match to strip the wires, because I cut them off when I use a wire stripper. Somethings we women weren't made to do as well as you guys are.

kaycek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back