Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EZ-RJ45 Question 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmj

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
US
Has anyone used one of these? It seems too good to be true, the connectors are a bit expensive, but if this tool works then it could be very cost effective solution, you may actually break even making patch cords!!

If you make your own patch cables they will come back
to haunt you!!

Home made patch cords make sense when you want a really pretty installation, and need to get the lengths just right. But if you are going to do this, invest in a good cable tester to minimize diagnosis time.

I'm also skeptical of products that claim to work equally well with stranded and solid conductors. The two behave differently when crimped, so any dual-purpose connector will have some compromise. It probably works fine, but might fail under repeated stress.

as far as lengths thats what cable management
is for, stick with factory made patch cords!!

I agree with cw3- Factory made is the only way to go. Buy assorted lengths in bulk for savings. Hand made is time consuming, and prone to failure/ error. Though that tool might be cool if you had to install an old Merlin.

I only asked because there are times when I need a patch cable and dont have anything but a 50 footer! This would be nice for those emergency situations where you were trying to finish up and didnt have a patch cable. Would have had a use for it the otherday. As far as a tester, I just purchased the Validator.

There's nothing wrong with making your own patch cables...I have a 468T and 468R from Progressive to check the pairs. My O.C.D. (Obsessive, Compulsive Disorder) couldn't be happier. All my patch cables are exactly the length I want...

In the future everything will work...

hey when you are 2oo miles down the road and you
get the call you will wish you had used a factory made cable!

hey when you are 2oo miles down the road and you
get the call you will wish you had a way to make up a 25 foot patch cable. [smile]

I think its is invaluable to be able to make nice patch cables, they also have boots to go with them, co they look really goot when done, something must be good about EZ-RJ45 because Leviton makes ends for it!! It sure beats having to break your fingers making them the old fashion way!!

Her is my $0.02 worth.
Factory patch cables are great for many installations. They make for a professional look, and certainly make for a quicker install. And, as so many have stated, they are reliable.
Custom cables, when properly constructed, are also appropriate in many installations. I would always test any cable you make just to make sure.
I have a tough time understanding the resistance I see to custom cables. When properly constructed, they are every bit as reliable as their factory counterparts. If you take the time to understand the cabling standards, follow recommended assembly procedures, use quality materials, (and are not color blind), there is no reason to discount making your own cables when the situation warrants.

As a matter of practice, I always use boots when constructing my own cables. I like the look, and it matches the factory cables they are neighbored with. I always double-check wire placement in the connector before the crimp. In carpentry you measure twice, cut once. In cabling, look twice, crimp once.

The connector/crimp tool you are looking at seems like it would help in quick cable assembly. You might try making several cables of differing lengths and test each one with a quality certification tool. If they all pass…

I say go for it.

To get back to the topic ... ;)

I have a customer that uses easy RJ-45s and has been very happy about them

Of course your mileage may vary!!!

those look interesting.. but if you dont know enought to be able to get the cables in the connector right.. you shouldnt be making your own cables...

always test your cables after you make them.. and they'll be fine

Hey! Funny this came up, I just used them for the first time yesterday for a client who insisted on NO PATCH PANEL...
They were fairly easy to rig up, and weren't any harder to crimp, HOWEVER, you have to have a REALLY good set of tiny electronics end cutters if you don't have the proprietary tool, that was the challenge. Anyways, I am still a bigger fan of ready-made cables. and if I have to make one, I cut a longer ready-made one in half and re-crimp, that way I can find the fault faster, because the molded ones rarely fail.....

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

I didnt realize that standard rj-45s were that hard to put together.

They aren't, it just takes some practice. If you only do a few a year this might give you a little help making a good connector though.

Hey, youcandoit, when you have 50-80 to do, and another 12 job tickets to close in one day, the speed and ease of use are appreciated, thank you very much.

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

metroman all i have to say is I must be a natural. :) I've done 100's in a day and ran tickets to boot and see no need for an easier solution. its like a crutch for those who cant do it the right way

It takes me less than a minute to put a 8P8C plug on the end of a piece of cable. Big deal...

Make them if you need them, buy them if you have a big job but test them all since just because you bought them doesn't make them good

For plugs I like these:
Uses standard tools, solid or stranded, snagless with no boot needed and superior quality.

Panduit has two cat6 versions available. The MP688 appears to have the holes in the front like the EZ product. The SP688 uses a divider and load bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back