Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extruding shapes in a .dwg file generated by Adobe Illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jortego

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I made a drawing in Adobe Illustrator 9 that I saved in a .dwg format. I am then trying extrude these shapes in AutoCAD. They are closed polygons with curves. AutoCAD gives me a message telling me that the shape is unusable. AutoCAD recognizes the shape in 2D mode and let's me modify it there.

Does anybody know what I need to do to get AutoCAD to allow me to extrude the shape in 3D Solids?

Here is one thing to check (from Autodesk)...

Issue
You create a polyline and try to extrude it, but the extrude fails and the following error message is displayed on the command line:

Command: ext EXTRUDE
Current wire frame density: ISOLINES=4
Select objects: 1 found
Select objects:
Specify height of extrusion or [Path]: Specify second point:
Specify angle of taper for extrusion <0>:

Unable to extrude the selected object.

Solution
To extrude a polyline, the polyline must not intersect or overlap at any point. To be able to extrude, the polyline must be comprised of non-overlapping and non-intersecting entities.

I thought the same thing. I had a simpler shape that I knew had no overlapping lines and I tried to extrude it. Same error.

What I didn't realize when I originally posted the problem was that AutoCAD is reading my shape as a Curve. I made sure the curve was closed and had no overlapping points, but I got the same error.

Any additional suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back