Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extremely Delayed Internet Mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceejay07

MIS
Jan 17, 2002
US
Hello all,

Hopefully someone will be able to point me the right direction. I have been getting a lot of phone calls and emails from my users that they can't receive external emails in a timely manner. I started to run some tests sending mail from my hotmail and netzero account they all come in seconds or minutes after I send them. However, when I have some of my friends send emails from their company accounts they take any where from 30 minutes to 3 hours to a day.

On the delayed emails... when I check the internet headers, they actually get to my servers late. Not that they sat in a queue and didn't get distributed. When they do come through, they all come in at the same time. It then starts all over again. I have checked everything I can think of without any resolution.

Could someone help me figure out what the problem is?

Thank you in advance
cj

Check with your internet provider - make sure they aren't batching your incoming email before they blast them to you. Or they may have a prioritization system in place that puts email traffic on the bottom and http at the top.

We host our own mail on exchange servers at our sites; could it still be an issue?

Thank you,

cj

HI.

Check the DNS MX record for your email domain name.
Your servers should be the first priority (lowest number), and the ISP servers as second priority (higher number).

In any case I also recommend to contact your ISP and ask.
They might be able to help even if it's not "their" problem.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Some sites may not be sending out immediately, Then the ones that use ISP's to transfer mail will also intoduce a delay.

Chris

does the IMS server name have to match mx record line.

ie server name is ceejay.test.com
should the line read
test.com mx preference=1, mail exchanger = ceejay.test.com

for some odd reason, the previous admin don't have the ceejay matching

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back