Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extreme Switch VLAN DHCP errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksanint

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2011
US
I am a system administrator and just started a job that has an existing Extreme switch with Avaya Office, connected to an Extreme Switch X250e-48p. I purchased a Cisco Switch (SFE2000P 24-port 10/100 Ethernet Switch with PoE) to add more phones.

There are two vlans setup in the Extreme switch: Default 1 and Voice 2. Each VLan has a virtual router with DHCP. Voice 2 VLAN gets IPs in the 192.168.100.0 range and 192.168.100.254 gateway. The phones work properly when connected to the Extreme switch.

When configuring the Cisco switch, I created the VLAN “Voice ID2”. If I connect a laptop to this switch with a manual IP address I can ping all telephones and get replies. However when I plug a phone into the same port at Cisco switch, I get a message saying: “no filesvr”” and “no address supplicant”. Apparently it has something to do with the phone not being able to reach the dhcp server for the virtual router in the extreme switch. I have spent a lot of hours trying to figure this out. Is there any special configuration on the Cisco switch I may be missing to allow these packets to go through? Or a setting in the Avaya switch that prevents the Cisco switch to fully access the phone network? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Normally for the Avaya phones to boot you need both the voice and the data vlan. There is no special configuration you need to do.

If you are able to get IP addresses on either vlan on the Extreme switch you should be able to get them easily on the Cisco switch.

* Have you tried getting a DHCP address on either vlan with a laptop on the Cisco switch?
* Did you make sure you added the vlan tagged/untagged on the Extreme Switch on the port where you plugged in the Cisco switch?
* Check the ports on the Extreme switch and see how they are configured for the phones? (show ports <port number> info detail) and look for the vlan info.

Usually the phone has the data network untagged (marked as internal, and the voice network tagged for it to function properly.

there is a chance that the switch is using LLDP to configure the phones aswell... the Extreme switch has the ability to tell the phones where the FIleserver and the Phone system is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back