Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extreme newbie needs template

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacecodotnet

Programmer
May 17, 2004
US
I'm an extreme newbie to C++. So far I have only been making console applications and the like. However, I'd like to have a very simple Windows program that just displays two boxes, User: and Password:. There is only one correct combination of User and Password, and the window will not close unless the combination the user typed is correct.

The reason I want this is because I'd like to add it to the Autoexec.bat file on my computer to add another layer of security, even before the regular login screen comes up.

If anybody could reffer me to a template that I could tweak somewhere, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Peace out,
Peace Co.

I think it's an absolutely useless lotion (not another layer of security).
No any autoexec.bat in modern Windows (DOS nostalgia?).
Nobody can damage your system before regular login screen comes up (and after BIOS bootstrap splash).
Better set BIOS password (but don't forget it;)...

Peacecodotnet,
autoexec won't be able to load a windows app before Windows loads. If you are using Windows 98 or less, you could build a console app with a loop that asks for the password and continues to ask until it gets the correct one. The only way around that is ctrl-c.

-CECD

You could create a program that hooks into the Windows login program -- my company did this about 5 years ago. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do it, and I'm definitely not a newbie. ;)

I agree with ArkM - set a bios password if you are really that concerned. But be sure to carry it with your credit card and don't forget it!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back