Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extreme Hangups in Explorer Upon Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,
I've been experiencing a huge hangup in Explorer upon bootup, for about 3 minutues after bootup, the start menu, my computer and IE are completely inaccessible. After the three minutes, everything returns to normal. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I've already removed all non-vital startup items, and my system specs are listed below:

1.4Ghz Athlon (266Mhz FSB)
Gigabyte GA-7DXR Motherboard
1GB DDR-2100 RAM
16x Pioneer DVD-ROM
24x/10x/40x TDK CD-RW (Master drive on secondary channel of secondary RAID/ATA-100 controller)
47GB 7200RPM ATA100 IBM Deskstar Hard Drive
Hercules GeForce2 GTS video card
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 X-Gamer sound card
3com OfficeConnect NIC
Rockwell PCI 56k Modem

And just as a side note, the RAID/ATA-100 controller is set to ATA-100 mode through the jumpers.

Thank you,
Vincent T. Vantine

I've had exactly this problem on a couple of machines and the common link seems to be Norton Antivirus 2002. Are you running this? I uninstaled and then reinstalled it on one of them and then did a manula updqte of NAV and it seemed to solve the problem...didn't work on the other one though???

Yeah, I have had a couple of issues with NAV 2002 on XP also, (locking up the taskbar on boot) it was only on a couple of clients that were using Norton System Works. It would hang until you kill and restart the explorer process, I fixed it by removing System Works and only running NAV 2002 stand-alone.

Just thought it may be of interest.

[smurf]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back