Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Top n number of rows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swathi37

Vendor
Dec 23, 2002
US
Hi All,

I have a question on extracting the top n number of rows say top 100 rows from a report using Cognos Impromptu. Ex:

The report has

Customer# #ofUsers
---------------------
123 100
298 89
471 70
288 53
500 8

If I have to pull top 3 rows, I should have only the following output

Customer# #ofUsers
---------------------
123 100
298 89
471 70

I guess I have to use rank function. How do I use this function. Please advice.
Thanks so much
Swathi

You'll need to create a Rank column, then set your Summary filter to Rank <= 3.

Pain is stress leaving the body.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Thanks so much for your response. DoubleD, Could you please explain this process in detail?

1. Create a calculated column using the Rank function under the Summaries folder to rank the chosen column.
2. On the Filter tab, switch to Filter Type = Summary.
3. Add the filter: [Rank Column] <= 3
4. Run Report

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Hi,

Easier of that, you can specified a number of row you like to extract.

You have an acces tab in menu REPORT-QUERY (I think so it's a right traduction, I have a french version. Otherwise, first sub-report of report menu). In this tab, you can specify a number of row. It's more easy and more efficient than other solution because when you use a calculation column Impromptu must evaluate all rows and if you result have many rows it will be long to complete it.

Gilles.

GilMerc,
If you only have to grab unique records and sort them, your solution is good.
My solution assumes that there is aggregation required.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

if selection of top n rows is a complex condition it's probably more efficient to use a calculation field but most of times we can do this by grouping and sorting the rows.

I remember your solution.

Gilles.

Can I create a ranking by displaying, say, the top 5 selling products, then the rest are grouped as 'Others'?

I'm not sure how you could do that with Impromptu. My initial thought would be one report that identified the top 5, then a second report which used the first to calculate a column identifying Top 5 vs Others.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Monsky,

I think you can do this by using view.
Define a view on DB for table where you extract top 5 rows and others. I think you'll need to define a new column where you set a rank (1,2,3,4,5,99 for others).
In the report you can group rows by this new rank.

Gilles.

I was hoping to perform this dynamically through Impromptu but since it may not possible I just decided to do this in PowerPlay.

Could you not just drop the filter on rank and put in a summary column for rank over 5 and use conditional formatting to hide the rank over 6 and change the displayed columns to show "Others" and the totals for the hidden rows on row number 6?

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back