Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extracting part of a string 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanclyde

Technical User
Jun 5, 2009
GB
I would like to be able to extract a part of a string (IP address) and strip out everyhting around a certains value. For example, I have an IP address 192.168.200.34, is it possible to only extact the 200 part and drop things either side including the periods (.)?

I have trid that, but all IP address are not the same, 192.19.100.12

So in the examples above I want to extract the 100 in the first line and extract the 10 in the second, with the characters either side (including the periods) to be deleted.

Still no luck I am afraid. I have to be truthful at this point and mention taht I am not a VB expert and I believe SPLIT is a VB function.

I am trying to do this this in a query or Event Procedure within Access.

I understand there is a similar way of doing this in Excel, but alas I am unable to fathom this one out.

I have a query in Access which for this example has one field, IP_Address. I can issue the like function as below:

Like *.*.40.* and this will show me all IP_Addresses on the 40 Lan.

Likewise, Like *.*.200.* will show all the IP_Addresses on the 200 Lan.

As there are many of them and they could change, it would not be possible to issue the Like function as I did above as this would be very time consuming. As new ones are added and old ones removed, I would ike a function that would alwasy look at the third set of characters which denote the LAN part of an IP Address so I could perform calculations on each of those numbers.

The results I am after MAY be like this show below:

Lan Number Of
10 20
120 53
200 47

Does this make sense?

How about a user defined function?

In a standard module, paste this:

Code:
Function ExtractPart(sIP)
    If Len(sIP) - Len(Replace(sIP & "", ".", "")) > 2 Then
        ExtractPart = Split(sIP, ".")(2)
    Else
        ExtractPart = ""
    End If
End Function

The SQL then looks like this:

Code:
SELECT ExtractPart(t.IP) AS Lan, Count(t.ID) AS Nmbr
FROM Table t
GROUP BY ExtractPart(t.IP)

After a bit of tweaking, and with your help, I got it to work.

Thanks very much, your a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back