Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extracting data

Status
Not open for further replies.

APCO

Technical User
Jun 1, 2004
US
I have a Dell Latitude laptop running Win2k. I've tried reloading but boots to the blue system crash/dump screen. Fortunately, partition is FAT32, so I can see data on "C:\" when booting w/Win98 start disc. Any ideas, cables, secondary hard drives, methods on extracting data from c drive???

Oh boy, I see this one on a daily basis :p major problem on the base I work on, mainly because dell for the most part uses refurbished hdd in these military machines...go figure.

Anyway, I keep on me a external laptop usb HDD case in such instances. That will allow you to plug it via usb and copy anything over to either another laptop, or a desktop. They also make a laptop to desktop converter as well.

A way you might be able to fix this without pulling data period, if you have your win2k, re-install it. When your cd boots up, if you select new install, the installer will search for previous versions of windows. When it pops up with your 2000 image, select repair and it will only replace system files and "re-install" windows, but all your data will be there.

Something else you can try before the before mentioned paragraph is the window repair. Select repair from the first screen when your cd boots and then choose the Recovery Console. It will take you into a command line screen. From there run chkdsk /r

If it finds any corrupt files it will replace them, though this way can take close to an hour even 2.

let me know if any of these help ^^

"Why are we necessary?"
"Only to rise up to the challenge"
-Macross Plus-

I tried re-installing Win2k, unfortunately it crashed too. A friend of mine gave me an adapter for my desktop & just finished transfering all data...Thanks for the input!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back