Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting ContSupp information 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferLee

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
We have a huge database of both customers and non-customers. I have no problem filtering the data to just customers and exporting that information, but I also need to export the secondary contact information -- specifically the name and e-mail address. Goldmine's help file specifically states that I can "import or export data from CONTACT1.DBF, CONTACT2.DBF, and Email Address field data from CONTSUPP.DBF", but it doesn't say how. I'm using v. 5.70 on Windows XP.

I'm pretty tech-savvy, but I don't know SQL. Is there any hope, or am I completely screwed? Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Try Tools>>Import/Export Wizard, email address is a standard selection no queries required. Just set up a filter to select all customers and then run the wizard against this query.

Jason Wienert
Brisbane, Australia
GoldMine, Avaya, ACCPAC CRM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response. While the method you suggested works perfectly well for the primary contact, the secondary contacts that might be associated with a record are not exported.

My guess is that I have to open up the CONTSUPP.DBF file as the main database, but I'm not sure how to do that without affecting the productivity of our entire sales force, which I don't want to do, obviously.

It is? When I go through the wizard, the only fields that I see you can select are ones that tie to the primary. From what I've been able to gather in doing some research, the actual field name that I need to pull out of there is called something like CONTSUPREF/C/35, and I don't see anything even close to that in the list.

The second page of the export wizard allows you to select primary contacts, secondary contacts or apply a merge code to your export. Just under where you select what filter you would like to use. I have just checked the knowledgebase and this is showing up as being in GM57.

HTH

Jason Wienert
Brisbane, Australia

Hm. I am a new user, which means I've had to learn a ton about GM in a very short time, so it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong. When I go to the second screen in the wizard, ("Select Filter/Group"), the options I can pick are:

- ALL Contact Records
- Active Contact Filter (which I've used to narrow down the results to just customers)
- Recent
- Filters
- <Filters of: [my login]>
- Groups
- <Groups of: [my login]>

And that's it.

My apologies, I had one document that iundicated that this functionality was in GM57 and i have just gone through the What's new documents and found this functionality was added in GM6.

In which case you will not be able to export the data using GoldMine.

You will either need to upgrade GM or use an external tool to complete this. There are a number of tools available.

Do you have an SQL database or dBase?

Jason Wienert
Brisbane, Australia

I'm not 100% certain. I've been told that GM told us that it was SQL, but when pressed they said that it was "not quite SQL, but close." I have no idea what that means.

Since we just upgraded to 5.7 las summer, I doubt that upgrading to 6 will be a possibility for a while, sadly. Does this mean I'm relegated to teaching myself SQL strings?

There are actually four entries; two of them I think are just testers, and can be disregarded. The two that I'm not sure about are:

[Database] | [Access] | [Database/Location]
----------------------------------------------
Common Contact File | (public) | dBASE: \\directory\subdir\subdir\

where the unc path is the parent directory of where our files are stored, and

MSSQL:GOLDMINE_SALES:dbc | (public) | MSSQL:GOLDMINE_SALES:dbo:

This last one is the one that is highlighted automatically. I only included the other because it was pointing to where the files are stored, thus my confusion.

It sounds like SQL just to confirm and be 100% the description associated with this Database should show up in the bottom left hand corner of the GoldMine Interface.

Jason Wienert
Brisbane, Australia

Ah, brilliant. It is the MSSQL:GOLDMINE_SALES.dbo that's at the bottom of the screen.

well you could do an SQL query in SQL and grab the data, if you are not familiar with SQL have you used Crystal previously? If you have the SLQ version of GoldMine you should have Crystal. this is sometimes the best way for people unfamiliar with SQL to extract data. You an use the Crystal Wizard to obtain the data you require into a report and then export the data from crystal to excel very easily.

Jason Wienert
Brisbane, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back