Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting cell values in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgeek

MIS
Oct 28, 2001
GB
I've got two columns of numbers which are compared in a third column to give a TRUE/FALSE for a match.

By checking the True/False column I want to add the associated number in column 1 into either one of two other columns called matched or unmatched, so I end up with a list of matched and unmatched numbers.

Has anyone any ideas?

Thank You in advance

There are many ways you could deal with this, I would be tempted to use an IF statement, if the layout we as below:

a b c
1 1000 1000 Matched
2 2000 3000 Unmatched

Place the the cell you want matched item:(D1)

=if(c3="Matched",+a1,"")

and the cell you want unmatched: (E1)

if(c3="Unmatched",+b1,"")

I hope I have understood the question correctly....

Cheers
Greenthumb

PS You could use a Pivot Table also!!

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I've tried what you suggested but keep getting blank cells returned. I followed your instructions very carefully.

If this can be made to work, the problem is that it will return a list w8th lots of spaces (rows) between each match.

Is it possible to return a contigious match and unmatched list?

Many Thanks

Yes it is, put the following in C3

=if(a1=b1,"Matched","Unmatched")

then copy down, it will give you one column (C) with the words macthed or unmatched acording to the A and B values.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back