Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Access data without Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimgrin

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
GB
May seem a strange question, but does anyone know a quick way of getting data out of an Access mdb file without having Access (or any other part of Office) installed?

I have a remote machine with an Acccess database file that I would like to use. I can ftp the file, but the size of it makes this undesirable (200MB). I can get Office installed in a few days, but I want the data as soon as possible. I want something that can use ODBC to query the data and save it as csv or text files or something,

any help appreciated, Jim.

I'm not sure what you are asking for. You can export your tables from Access into XLS or csv, dbf, or txt files. Just select the table. Go to File|Export. Then select the file type from the Save as type list. If you select txt, you can set the delimiter (i.e. commas) or use tabs to separate fields.

Or do you want a live link to your Access mdb? You could use a report writer like Crystal Reports, but you would have to buy it, install it, and set it up, which would take the same about of time and trouble as waiting for MS Office.

Rosalindr,
Thanks for the suggestions. I now have Office installed on the machine in question so my problem is solved.

Just for the record, what I was after was some way of accessing the data in the mdb file (a bit like using Excel and ODBC to get to the data) but without having Office installed. I suppose I was thinking there may be a simple ODBC app that could just pull the data out to csv or text fles,
thanks, Jim.

Jim,

There are a bunch of ODBC data access query tools, but as you already found out, it's quicker to get Office. But if you are interested in light weight data extraction tools, check ZDNet for shareware.

Do a search on SQL, ODBC, or Query, and you will get a long list of shareware you can try free for a month and then pay from $25 to $200 to keep.

Roz

Roz,
thanks for this. There are a few freebies on there (CuteSQL) which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure these will come in handy at some point,

thanks again, Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back