Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract Source Code from exe file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblabonte

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
I'm wondering if there is a way to reverse engineer a VB application exe file to generate the source code?

We had a part time employee create an application. He quit and we can not find the source code (vbp) for his application. All we have is the package including the CAB, setup.exe and the application.exe.

I'm new to VB, so I'm not sure if this is doable. Any suggestions? [sadeyes]

thanks in advance,
H. Barnes

Oh great. So I'm SOL eh? [censored] *&^#@ Microsoft!

Thanks for the info.

Don't blame Microsoft on this one....it should be this way (non-reversable)! I wouldn't want it any other way.

Sorry though about the mis-fortune......maybe you can still contact the person to find out where the source code is.
Or maybe it is still on the drive but erased....use a Undelete program or disk editor to try and find it - the more hard drive activity you have though, the less the chances will be to get the code back.

All the best! [/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************[sub]
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

The "source code" in the .exe file is assembly (actually machine language). The file can be disassembled and worked on, if you can get a good Windows assembly programmer. (It'll probably cost more that way [lots more] than having someone write the whole thing from scratch in VB.)

Have you really done a thorough search of this ex-employee's hard drive?

You may want to search for a decompiler. There are several floating around the internet. Not all work real well. I've used a few. Reverse engineering and decompiling is however against most licensing regulations on programs that you buy.

We've been down this road a number of times, VBGuyUsingVC. There are no known decompilers for fully compiled VB6 programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back