Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract part of text from Access Record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpkeller55

Technical User
Apr 11, 2003
US
Does anybody know if a part of text can be extracted from a record? Using Access 2003

For example: With the following records, I only want the portion that contains the number followed by IU.

Records:
ADVATE 1070IU VIAL (BAXTER) FACTOR VIII RECOM
ADVATE 1390IU VIAL (BAXTER) FACTOR VIII RECOM
HELIXATE FS 1108IU VIAL (ZLB BEHRING) F:VIII
KOGENATE FS 1232IU VIAL w/BIOSET (BAYER)

Desired data:
1070IU
1390IU
1108IU
1232IU

Is this possible? thanks!

Is the part you want always four digits followed by IU? If so:

Mid(FieldName, InStr(FieldName, "IU") - 4, 6)

sometimes the number preceding the IU is only 3 digits. In those cases there is a space in front that I suppose I could then delete.

It would also be possible to use code and Split to create an array. Each element of the array can be examined to see if it matches your criteria.

I get an error message when using this code:

Mid(FieldName, InStr(FieldName, "IU") - 4, 6)

"Invalid Procedure Call

The error message was a result of the fact that I had Unique Values set to Yes on the query properties. By changing it to NO, it works. Thanks Remou!

I would like to explore your array solution to this problem too, but wouldn't know where to start.

Where did you try this?

Here is some SQL:

[tt]SELECT Mid([Field1],InStr([Field1],"IU")-4,6) AS Expr1
FROM tblTable[/tt]

Note that you must change the field and table names to match your set up. You should get #Error returned if IU does not exist in the string. The result will not be correct if IU can occur elsewhere in the string.

Very roughly:

Code:
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Set rs=CurrentDB.Openrecordset("tblTable")
Do While Not rs.EOF
   astrField=Split(rs!Field," ")
   For i=0 To UBound(astrField)
      If Instr(astrField(i),"IU")>0 Then
         If IsNumeric(Left(astrField(i),Len(astrField(i))-2)) Then
              Debug.Print astrField(i)
          End If
      End If     
   Next
   rs.MoveNext
Loop

I ran the script you first supplied to me in an update query to update a field in the table with the 6 characters. It worked fine. First time I was doing a select query with Unique Values set to Yes and that gave me the error message. I will try your code out too.

thanks much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back