Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract month number from date field 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2001
US
If I have a number, say...5, can issue an SQL statement on a date field to return results for where the date field is between 5/1 and 5/31?

SELECT * FROM myTable wHERE MONTH(myDateField)=5

Something like the above would be ideal.

Did you look at the DATEPART function? You should be able to do the following:

SELECT *
FROM MyTable
WHERE DATEPART("m", MyTable.DateField) = 5; Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Yep, thats exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Hey Mike - did you try your own suggestion?

Select * from MyTable where Month(MyDate) = 5

should work just fine = uses the MONTH function, which returns the month integer from the date field....

How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand...
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

I have been unsuccessfully trying all kinds of variations of the DatePart function to condense a short date to just the month AND a two digit year.

How can I make all entries from 5/01/02 through 5/31/02 show as 5/02?

I found this non-DatePart expression works but it gives me a 4 digit year and I'd prefer a 2 digit year: Expr1: Month([Date]) & "/" & Year([Date])

Got it! I get to answer my own question after much testing and tweaking (hours later)

If you want to condense a short date to a 4 digit date in your query, try this expression:

Month([Date]) & "/" & Right(Year([Date]),2)

(I added a criteria of [Enter Mo/Yr] for the user, too)

DateByMonth: Format$([TableNme].[DateField],"m yy")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back