Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract/export contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterleo

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2003
I am looking for a way to extract/export contacts from Exchange 2003. I am looking to build a global database outside of Exchange for all our contacts in our company. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Leo

Well... yes there is a way....use the export function in outlook for each users contacts into a collective pst file and then import that pst file into a public folder.

Also, you could use exmerge to pull the contacts from people's mailboxes into individual pst files as well.

It will just be a bit time consuming but completely doable.

Chris Clancy, EnCE,CCE

" ... when you can't figure out what the problem is, find out what it isn't.... "

Contacts in Active Directory or Contacts in the individual users mailboxes? Contacts aren't actually "In Exchange" apart from within individual users mailboxes and you might not have the right (outside your company policy obviously) to go extracting the email addresses of their wives, daughters, mistresses and lord knows what else.

Thanks for the responses. I'm talking about contacts in each person's individual mailbox. Our company policy states everything digital on our network is company owned. So that will not be a problem. I have even made this public knowledge throughout the company that everyone's contacts will be extracted so if they want to "clean up" their contacts, it is up to the individual to do so.

Thanks,

Leo

Run exmerge against the entire store and copy out the contacts. You'll end up with a lot of PST files which you will deal with however you want.

Still not sure it's a clever thing for management to order you to do though. It's their business though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back