Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract date from a large text field

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCL2007

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2007
US
I'm trying to extract a date that was entered into a large text field. Date could be of format MM/DD/YY or M/D/YY or M/DD/YY or MM/D/YY and may appear anywhere within the text field. Is there a way to create a formula in Crystal XI to extract just the date?

If you knew where in the big mess of text your date lived, you could use MID() and Dateserial() and Month(), day(), year.

dateserial(year(mid({field.bigtextmess},5,2)),month(mid({field.bigtextmess},10,2)),day(mid({field.bigtextmess},14,2)))

D-

Thanks -Unfortunately, the date field is not in the exact spot in the field on each record.. I think I'll need something that searches for the / then backs off one or two characters to get the month digit, then gets the rest of the string.. no idea how to do it...

If dates are the ONLY components of the string that contain slashes, then you could use a formula like this:

stringvar array x := split({table.string}," ");
numbervar i;
numbervar j := ubound(x);
datevar y;
for i := 1 to j do (
if instr(x,"/") <> 0 then
y := date(x
);
y

If the date is adjacent to a punctuation mark you would have to replace that with a blank for this to work.

-LB

Hi,
The Instr function will let you find the position of the / characters, but how will you know how many chars you need....To get an interim result, you can use a formula with Instr and Mid to find the first / then try getting 2 before and 7 after to see what format most dates are in.

Try:

@GetDatemaybe

Mid({Table.BigString},Instr({Table.BigString},"/") -2,10)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks All,
LB - I'm trying to follow your formula. If I cut and paste into Crystal formula and change the table.field name to my table, I get a "The ) is missing" error. This formula is way beyond my ability.. Just wondering if you could help where I'm missing the ).

If I put the ) at the end of your statement after the y(just guessing it goes there), I get a "Bad Date Format String" with the date(x
) high-lighted. Just wondering if you had any thoughts..

numbervar i;
datevar y;
y := date(x
);
y

Thanks again

You should show me YOUR version of my formula.

You would get the bad date format string if your date is next to a punctuation mark. So you could change it to something like this:

numbervar i;
datevar y := date(0,0,0); // added this
y := date(replace(replace(replace(x,".",""),",",""),";",""))
);
y

-LB

Thanks once again LB.
It appears the record I was getting the error on had multiple date fields. I think the majority of dates that I want to extract have a : at the end of the date in the text field. (for example, 6/23/09:)
Sorry to be a pain, and I really appreciate this, but is there a way to modify the formula to only extract the dates with a colon immediately after the date?

numbervar i;
datevar y := date(0,0,0);
if instr(x,"/") <> 0 and
instr(x,":") <> 0 then //check for / AND :
y := date(replace(replace(replace(replace(x,".",""),",",""),";",""),":")) //added colon
);
y

The multiple dates wouldn't cause the problem, the colon did. Note that this only returns one value, so if you had more than one date with a colon then it would return the last one in the string.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back