Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi All,

I know that there is a command called "extract" that can be used to copy files from the windows cd rom. I am not sure how and in what circumstances to use this command. Can someone out there point me to some online information that explains this.
Thanks for your help.
Steve

Hey dude

If you are using windows 98 you can use a program called SFC to extract files from cabs, otherwise just goto ya command prompt and type extract, it will give you the syntax on how to use the file I think it goes like "extract X:\path\file.name cab.file" but there is other switches and stuff you can add...

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

Wow! Thanks for the fast replies.
Thanks for all the info.

Steve

Use SFC from within windows by tuping SFC in the run box. If you are using Millenium, run the msconfig utility and click the extract file button on the bottom of the window. The dos based extract command is a pain in the ........ but here are the instructions anyways :)
If you know the cabinet file the required file is in then the syntax is as follows:
extract /a <source>\<cabinet> <filename> /l <destination>
ie.. if you were trying to extract wsock32.dll it would look like this:
extract /a D:\win98\precopy1.cab wsock32.dll /l c:\windows\system

If you do not know the cabinete file the file is in you can still extract as follows:
extract /a <source> <filename> /l <destination>
Use d:\win98\base4.cab as the source. So wsock32.dll would like almost the same:
extract /a d:\win98\base4.cab wsock32.dll /l c:\windows\system

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back