Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extra scrollbars are causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

system9898

Programmer
Jun 7, 2007
US
Here's the page in question:

This page works fine in IE6, IE7 and FF2. The problem is when there is enough content in the big, white area, the area adds an inner scrollbar. Then, the user gets confused. I simply want to use the main scrollbar for the window, not the content layer.

What am I doing wrong here? How can I get the main content area to grow while keeping out the scrollbar?

Code:
html>body #content {
	position: relative;
	top: 60px;
	margin-left: 20px;
	margin-right: 20px;
	margin-bottom: 20px;
	padding: 5px 5px;
	[COLOR=red]height: 88%;
	overflow: auto;[/color]

vertical-align: top;
	background-color: #ffffff;
	border: 1px solid #000000;
	padding-bottom: 30px;
You are giving the content a specific height. When it gets larger than that, you get the scrollbars.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

ok. that makes sense and works fine by taking it out. Thanks! I know on FF and IE7, I can use the min-height attribute. How do I force a min-height on IE6?

There is no min-height in IE, so you have to treat height as min-height.

[monkey][snake] <.

that's what I thought, which then brings us back to the same issue as we started with.

hmmmm..... any ideas?

In IE6, I took off the overflow on the body and reserved it for the content layer. How can I force the bottom of the layer to be x pixels from the bottom of the screen, no matter what the resolution of the user's screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back