Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra! Macro Failed to Begin Execution

Status
Not open for further replies.

santlou

Programmer
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hi,

I developed several macros. Most of them work fine Most of the time. However, occasionally, when I invoke a macro, the popup message is displayed even before the macro starts:

Extra Basic Error
Macro Failed to Begin Execution

I can't find any help with this really ambiguous message.
Did the person who wrote Extra ever work for Microsoft ?

Anyway, after I get this message once, I can't run the macro again unless I shut the Extra session down and start back up again. Can anybody help me here ??

During development of this macro, I remember getting this issue when I defined an array that was very large. So I re-designed the macro to avoid using any arrays at all to conserve memory. My macro is not very complex and doesnt use much resources. It's just a simple 3270 screen driver.

Thanx.....

Load the macro into the Editor, and from the Run menu of the macro editor, choose Compile. If the macro fails to compile, the editor should highlight the first line causing the fatal error. That'll give you a place to start .. HTH

The macro compiles successfully. In fact, whenever i modify a macro, I always save and compile it.

The error I'm getting will go away if I shut down the Extra session and start it back up again, so there's no issue with the macro compile. I'm assuming that there is a memory leak or something else going on. I can force this error to popup by simply declaring a very large global array.
It also occurs during development after I've run the macro many times.

My concern is that when I roll out my macro to the user community, this issue will become more visible since may users will be using it. I was just wondering if other people have had similiar issues with extra macros and how they solved it.

.. Lou

This message means the the engine, ebmngr has run into a problem. The only solution as you noted is to shut Extra down all the way.

The root of the problem is usually in a macro that was run. That's about as far as I can help. Even though it passed the compile, there is something wrong in the code. Your array idea may be correct, but that would have to be a VLA.

Another way to solve this, if this is a macro you use frequently, you can create a button on yout tool bar. And make it run that macro whenever you click that button.

If, for some reason your array has overshot its dimensions, you will get this error. The macro will work fine any other time and will compile successfully, because it is correct. Make sure your array can hold the size you wish for it to hold. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back