Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extra installation for smtp service in exchange server 5.5??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohai76

MIS
May 20, 2002
JP
I recently installed Exchange 5.5 SP 3 on my server.I received an email from System Administrator stating "There was no transport protocol available for this recipient" or something very similar, when I tried to send an external email.

I found that there is no SMTP service in the system. Do I need extra installation for the SMTP service?

Thanks

No, the SMTP service is the one included in IIS. Do not install this one! Exchange has a connector called Internet Mail Service, this should be installed for transporting messages. Check in Exchange Administrator if there is anything under Connections. Otherwise install and configure Internet Mail Service.

Thanks for your fast response, lardum.

I am not very sure if there is any internet mail service under my Connections, since I am not with my server right now.

So you suggest not to install SMTP, but the Internet Mail Service. Do I need to include the Internet Mail Service on my client delivery setting in order to send external mail?

Run a Exchange server setup again. Run a Custom/complete setup and make sure that you check Internet Mail Service. Then you need to configure it from the Exchange Administrator program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back