Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra Hotspot Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPEN

Programmer
Aug 23, 2007
CA
We have some hotspots defined for our system using Extra Xtreme v8. The problem we are having is that intermittently, the hilited areas still show up on another screen. In other words, the hotspots show up and respond as expected, but when we trsfer to another screen, the buttons still show up in the same places, even the the text and area they are defined for are no on this screen.

Anyone ever have similar experience?

Also, the odd time the hotspots don't show up on the screen, until you hit enter. Seems to be some strange bug or something with Extra.

Thanks.

I would suggest switching to an empty HotSpot scheme when a macro is running. Auto-invoke can cause unexpected side effects in your macro. Then, when your macro is completed, change back to the original HotSpot scheme.

Hmmm... not entirely sure what you mean. By auto-invoke do you mean macors that are started by clicking on a hotspot?

Our hotspots are behaving unpredictably even if we don't invoke them or run any macros. We navigate to the screen with the hotspots and can see them there, but then we navigate to another screen using system defined pfkeys, and the hotspots still show up on the next screen, even though the text that the hotspots refer to is not on this screen. The hilited areas are still there and can still be clicked on??

These hotspots are only triggered by clicking on them.

I was referring to the "Auto-invoke when text appears on display" option of HotSpots.

As far as the HotSpots not clearing (for lack of a better term), it appears they correct themselves if you leave the Extra window and go back to it. I was playing around and making the session.visible switch from TRUE to FALSE to TRUE and it worked.

I set it up on a timer to refresh the HotSpots at 5 seconds if screen.updated. It causes a little flash. Other things I tried, but weren't as reliable were to focus on another window and then bring the focus back to Extra.

Seems to be an Extra bug.

So, are you saying that you've experienced the problem where the Hotspots don't clear? What version of Extra are you running?

"I was playing around and making the session.visible switch from TRUE to FALSE to TRUE and it worked."
"I set it up on a timer to refresh the HotSpots at 5 seconds if screen.updated."

Are you doing these things through a macro? My problem is occurring even when we're not running any macros. We are just navigating through the screens of our mainframe app, and the Hotspots are not clearing.

Attachmate support told me they were eorking on some hotspot issues, but weren't specific as to what they were.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was messing around with the HotSpots and it's the same issue you're having. The HotSpots just don't want to clear unless I activate another window and go back to Extra.
Version 2000a

This is the vbscript I was using to clear the HotSpots:
(Disclaimer: I played around with this trying other things to get it to work, but I'm pretty sure this should work.)
Code:
Option Explicit
Dim oSys, oSes, oScn, oArea
Dim sArea
Dim iTimer

Set oSys = CreateObject("Extra.System")
Set oSes = oSys.ActiveSession
Set oScn = oSes.Screen
Set oArea = oScn.Area(1,1,oScn.Rows,oScn.Cols,,2)
sArea = oArea.Value

On Error Resume Next
Do While TRUE
  If sArea <> oArea.Value Then
    sArea = oArea.Value
    oSes.Visible = FALSE
    oSes.Visible = TRUE
  End If
  If Err.Number > 0 Then
    WScript.Quit
  End If
  WScript.Sleep(5000)
Loop

Sorry for the basic questions but:

How and when do you run this script? These Hotspot problems are happening as I navigate through the screens of our mainframe application (no macros/scripts running). I'm not sure how or when you're running your code in order to 'clear' the hotspots.

Thanks.

I think we solved our problem. It seems that there is a problem when you use both Hotspots and Screen History in Extra. We turned off Screen History in our session file (EnableHistory=NO) and this cleared up our problem. It's like the saving of the screens causes some sort of delay that interferes with the clearing out/displaying of Hotspots. We've done some testing and so far so good.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back