Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra blank lines are being printed on my report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blamdude

Technical User
Jan 2, 2008
US
I'm new to Crystal Reports so please be patient with how I explain this.

I'm kinda stuck with using version 6 of Crystal Reports if that makes a difference.

Here is how my details section is laid out.

@partdesc @partqty @partsale @partextended @labordesc @laborextended

All these are lined up horizontally in the .rpt.

Now when I run the report what happens is that @partdesc, @labordesc and @laborextended all start on the same row but @partqty, @partsale and @partextended all get put on a line below @partdesc. This results in a blank spot directly underneath @partdesc wasting space and basically making the report look ugly. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

If I just have @partdesc in the details section byitself with nothing else or with just @laborextended there is no blank line below each repetition of @partdesc.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thank you much folks.

dave

I should have specified a screen shot of the section expert with the group header selected. Anyway, nothing stands out here as the culprit. The only other thing I can think of is that the description field has some sort of return or line feed in it. Try replacing the description field with:

trim(replace(replace({table.desc},chr(13),""),chr(10),""))

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

-LB

One other thought. If you select the description field->format field->paragraph formatting, is there any special formatting there, especially in the line spacing area?

-LB

Screenshot isn't working. I have no other ideas. Sorry.

-LB

trim(replace(replace({table.desc},chr(13),""),chr(10),""))

Will CR 6 support the use of trim like that? I ask because I don't see it listed like that in the Help File. I'll play with it in the meantime.

Without knowing WHY this is occuring, I wonder if you should just add a return before the description field, i.e., replace the description field with a formula:

chr(13)+{table.description}

Be sure to format it to "Can Grow".

-LB

Didn't work. Thanks though. Sigh. This is killing me.

Please explain what happened, rather than saying it didn't work.

-LB

It resulted in putting in an extra line on top of the one already being put in. What I don't get is that if I suppress @partqty, @partsale, and @partextended the extra spacing doesn't begin until the end of the labor description on the right side. If I continue to supress @labordesc and only have @partdesc and @laborextended the part names show exactly the way I want them too as shown in screenshot5.jpg below the labor description.

lbass, you've been very forthcoming with the help. Thank you very much.

You must have the detail section formatted to "underlay following sections"-- can you confirm?

Also, we haven't discussed this, but with multiple tables, the issue might be sort order. Please go to report->sort records and report back with what you see there. You might want to test different sort orders to see if that fixes the problem.

-LB

Underlay Following Sections is not checked off. I will look into the sort order. I've actually played with that already but since you mention it I'll play with it some more.

My Report > Sort Records says the following.

Report Fields has all the various database fields possible. The Sort Fields says "Group #1: Printset.seq - A"

Sort Direction is grayed out with nothing selected.

Try adding a sort on {@partdesc} first ascending then descending.

-LB

Doesn't look like it made a difference at all.

Try adding a sort on labor desc then. In other words, play around with sorting on different fields.

I do think this is the issue, after realizing you have multiple tables. To test this, go to the field explorer->recordnumber and add this to your detail section. Are you getting 2 numbers per part description when you think there should be just 1? If that's true, then you can probably group on part description and add a maximum of each field to the group header. If the results match the detail results, you can then suppress the detail section.

-LB

I don't see a place to view the Field Explorer. Does version 6 have that feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back