Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External usb HD not listed but working anyway?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidman3117

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I have a 250g Simpletech external usb 2.0 hd that I back up my files with. Yesterday, I was looking for it in "my computer" or Windows Explorer,which I have noted before and it was not listed. In device manager it it listed, and when I give the commands to backup, I hear it spin up and it does its job. What's going wrong here? I also have 2 internal hds and using Windows XP home.I have rebooted many times, clicked on new hardware wizard, and nothing.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Vidman

What you could do is unplug it from the system then boot up and plug it in and turn it on.
If that fails, go to disk management and see if its listed there. If so you can right click on it and give it a letter.
Double check dev mgr as well after doing all this, look in cd\dvd drives and also ide controller area.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Yes, I have all the service packs up to date,I have disconnected, rebooted and then re-hooked up(no detection), but when I go to disk management, it says the the drive K is healthy. I also looked up the fixes, and it recommended download files I already have installed, nothing in "my computer" or windows explorer. Any more suggestions?
Regards,
Vidman

bcaster,
I can now see why you get the top marks..Your're the Man!
Thanks,
Vidman
BTY, There were 2 other fixes that other people suggested, and I would like your feedback on it, before I do the hotfix, as MS was kinda saying don't use this until the next sp comes out. Anyway, this external unit can use also firewire, and I would have to buy a wire, and that would fix? Also, I could change the drive letter in "disk management?? What do you think?
Regards, and thanks again!
Vidman

Very likely by using a firewire connector instead you could avoid the usb issues. I have one like that with both usb and firewire connectors and i use the firewire.

Changing the drive letter to something after, say, the letter "M" is what i do all the time. That way it leaves room for any other devices i want to install and the one i already have installed, well, the letter doesnt get changed and i dont have to wonder which drive is which.
My usb and firewire drives go from M to P.

. "I would like your feedback on it, before I do the hotfix, as MS was kinda saying don't use this until the next sp comes out. "

The Hotfix is for SP2 of XP. Click the link for support and use the email option. All you need to put in the email is that your need the Hotfix discussed in MS KB article 892050. You should get an email giving you the direct download instructions within a few hours.

. Firewire should be perfectly acceptable to XP.

. "Also, I could change the drive letter in "disk management?? What do you think?"

Once the drive is recognized, whether USB or firewire, Disk Management will let you change the drive letter assignment.

Thank you for you nice comments,
Best regards,
Bill Castner

Bill,
I got in touch with MS, and downloaded the patch, unzipped it, and entered their secret password, and rebooted to no avail. I emailed back the techie at MS it did not work, and I am sure he will get back to me soon. I guess, rather than go out and buying a firewire, I will just wait, as the drive still functins, I just can't get into it to delete some files. From your response on the drive change, you mean that changing the drive letter will not fix my problem?
Regards,
Millard

Wont do any harm to try and change the drive letter!
It may or may not fix the prob, in fact, i dont think so, but stranger things have happened, and again, it wont do any harm.

Make sure you never used TweakUI to "hide" unused drive letters.

Some have viewed this in the past as a memory saver trick.

The other issue that comes up is a network drive over-mapping issue. If you are on a LAN and it assigns, say drive letter F to a network share, you have overwritten your native external device letter and it "disappears."

The only rememdy is to use Disk Management and move the device drive letter to a non-conflicting drive letter prior to the overmapping. Safe Mode is a good way to make sure that the letter is not overmapped by a network logon prior to running Disk Managment.

Weeelll, I tried switching letters in safe mode from K to J, which was not being used(however K wasn't either) and still not visible. I do appreciate the advice, folks, and the good thing is at least the drive works! I'll keep you posted when MS gets back to me, and thanks again, you folks are the greatest!
Regards
Millard

Gosh,
My external hd tech got it to id in the address bar, by typing in the letter of the drive and I could see the contents. But...when I closed and rebooted, opened up my computer, it was not listed, unless,I type in the address bar again. I have also gone into device manager and removed everything under it, and rebooted and redetected..After the desktop comes up, I plug in the external hd, states it sees a storage drive, but nothing in my computer or win explorer!! The only thing left would be to do a restore before this happened and see what gives??? Of course, it is a drag to restore the drivers etc. What do you all think?? This is a good one!
Regards,
Millard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back