Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External USB floppy drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igotu

Technical User
Sep 12, 2006
US
I have a External USB Floppy drive and thought I could use it in place of my internal floopy drive, but after I have installed it and the software, it is showing it is a E:\ drive instead of A: or B: and won't boot anything when I restart my computer, it just goes right to windows. Any suggestions?

Not really sure why you would be using a floppy disk to boot from (Dark ages).

But....If you want to, A: and B: are reserved for FDD 1 and 2, from the old 3.5" and 5 1/4" disk drive days or when 2 disk drives in a computer were essential.

What you can do though if you want boot from your USB disk drive, in the BIOS there is the option to change the boot sequence, on my motherboard there is an option to add USB-Floppy in the sequence.

If the setting isn't in the BIOS the computer won't know to look for the drive on the USB.

What I would suggest is to upgrade from your IBM Compatible AT computer to something a bit beefier, maybe a 286 or something! :)

Enjoy!

Your statement, "and thought I could use it in place of my internal floppy drive" tells me you left the internal floppy drive in place and connected. That would explain why the external USB drive would not be seen as A:. I suspect that your computer will see the USB drive as A: as soon as you disconnect the internal drive. My wife's and my mother's laptops (purchased without floppy drives) both see my external USB floppy drive as A:

Sloth is the mother of invention. Necessity is just a mother...

You need to make sure that your BIOS can boot from USB devices & choose this in the boot sequence.

Actually my bios only sees A: and B: and I don't have the internal floppy drive isn't there anymore and that is why I wanted the external floppy drive. The external floppy is showing as G: I believe.

Drive letters are unimportant in the BIOS. Have your External drive connected & enter the BIOS at startup. Go to the boot section & scroll through the list of available options. The external floppy may appear something like this:
USB RMD FDD
Just thinking, can you press a function key at startup to get a boot menu? sometimes F8. If so it should appear in the list.

I did just that and it says Floppy FDD so I guess that would be it!

Thanks for everything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back