Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Table Not in Expected Format 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristal9

Programmer
Feb 15, 2007
US
thread961-1316226

I am having a similiar issue as what was posted on the thread noted. Same error message. Also using SQL 2000... trying to get Excel file not CSV file though

My DTS, however, IS creating a new stub file at the start of the package. This step will execute fine. However, it is when it attempts to push the data into the stub file that the error occurs.

I can execute from my supervisor's machine but honestly, I don't like breaking into it every week.

So ... the error occurs only from my computer.
I am running Excel 2003 and 2007 concurrently.
It was fine last week on Monday.
By Tuesday the errors began.
The stub file gives an error when opening from Excel 2007 that it is not the same as it's XLS Extension. It will however open and return a readible file.
The stub file will open in Excel 2003 with the error message that it is unrecognizable format. It will open, and return an ascii type file and un readible.

I did some testing and can get it to feed the data inside the excel file IF i have the file open at the time.

That's all of the information I know thus far. Tomorrow I am going to try uninstalling MS Office and Reinstalling to see if that can fix the issue.

Any thoughts? I am stumped [sadeyes]

Does your supervisor's machine have Office 2003/2007 installed as well? I am wondering if it is getting confused.
~Brett

--------------------------
Web/.net Programmer & DBA
Central PA

Wonder if it's in part due to the statement "I am running Excel 2003 and 2007 concurrently".

Can you try this:
1. Close Excel
2. Windows Start Button|Run, type
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe" /unregserver
3. Windows Start Button|Run
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe" /regserver

(where the path is that for your installation of Excel 2003). This should reaffirm Excel 2003 as the default application for xls files.

soi là, soi carré

Hi everyone! thanks for the replies.

To answer: My supervisor only has 2003. He is not concurrently running 2007.

I thought too it might be getting confused because I'm running 2003/07 concurrently. Not aware yet of the 'unregserver' method, i did try to right click\open with \ excel 2003 \ always use for a select excel file to make my computer THINK 2003 was the default but that did not work.

I did not get a chance to try the "RUN unregserver" process yet.

I did re-install 2003 (fix / repair - not the full install) that seems to have fixed the error.

I just wonder now if the next time my IT team pushes out patches and updates if I will start to error out again. Time will tell!

Thanks again for help. I will keep this thread for future reference to try the 'unregserver' method in the future to test if it too will become a fix.

AGain, many thanks!

AFAIK, the link between document type and application is set from the latest installation/patch, so if you re-installed/repaired Excel 2003, that will have the same effect as the regserver command on the registry. As you note, it may well have been a patch or update that caused the upset.

soi là, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back