Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

external strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertSBoyle

Programmer
Feb 21, 2001
EU
Hi all

I have a requirement to add some automation to creating a universe in so far as the import of the tables and their types are concerned. I can do most of this via an external strategy, but I don't see where I can add the specifics to indicate that the field is a Dimension and not the default, Measure. Also - is it possible to specify the aggregate type for the Measure in the External Strategy?

Thanks
Robert

Good luck with that. Very few people use the strategies at all. What's the purpose of automating a universe build. You'll simply end up with a poorly designed universe that matches the structure of the database.

It won't be useable.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

The point is that there are several hundred tables to report on and that it is very tedious to import each table, go on it and modify the aggregate type and Dimension/Measure field for each table that has dozens of rows that require reporting on. Is there a better way of doing this?

Perhaps you're taking the term UNIVERSE too broadly.

If you break this down into subject areas, then you likely will have several universes that make sense. This means you will have some repetition accross the universes, but maintenance will be much easier and users will be MUCH happier.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

There are hundreds of tables after it is broken down into subject areas unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back