Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Power for an Internal Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

artk1

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
I have several old hard drives. Is there an adpater available to convert the 4 pin internal power connector to an external source ?
I have an adapter for the interface but not the power.

As long as you have +5 and +12 and 2 0volt on an AMP plug in the right holes you can power them from anywhere. But best to have the 0volts tied to the 0volt in your computer.

What kind of interface conversion are you using? The only one I've seen are for laptop HDs and most have the power conversion built in.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Maybe buy a couple of "Y" adapters for the power? That would put the drives internal and bay availability may become an issue?

I have adapters that change the connectors from internal
to external but nothing for the power. I have tried the Adaptec USBXchange device but the drives don't seem to
be getting power from the USB ports.

Probably intended to use the drive in an external case that supplies power.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

No. As I have stated I am interested in connecting the drives externally and am looking for a device that can supply the external power for the internal 4 pin adapter.
Thanks for the wrong assumption on your part, Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back