Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Page Speakers and Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ky123

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
Have a MICS and I'm going to add external paging speakers.

I need about 6 speakers which will range from 30-150 feet from the MICS.

Any recommendations on how to wire it and type of speakers to use?

As an aside the installation manual wiring chart shows the 'external page' on 41/16. I noticed it shows also shows 'page' on 40/15 -- I will use the "external page" (I assume) but what is the "page" pair for?

Actually, you would be using pins 40/15 and hook that up to your input on your paging system. Pins 41/16 is a contact closure for paging. When the page port is idle, it`s open, and closed (provides a short) when in use. The contact closure may or may not be needed, depending on your paging system.

A circumstance where it may be used is if you have a paging control unit that supports zoned paging. When someone tries an external page, the page control unit waits for DTMF coming across the page port, to see which zone to activate. That contact closure enables the paging system to detect a hangup (and a page attempt) thereby hanging up that zone. If it didn`t have that closure hooked up, you`d page to the same zone every time. Most likely it will not be used though.

You could also utilize the auxilliary ringing port to enable the speakers to ring on an incoming line or a set, again, depending on you paging system. Can be a handy feature used in conjunction with your service schedules, in a noisy plant with an absent proned receptionist...

As far as wiring, you could have a 1 or 2 pair paging system. All I`ve ever used is normal cat 3 cabling, with no problem, but I only install a 2 pair system, one used for signal and the other power. A single amplified pair may require different cable. Just look at the specs recommended on the paging system.

Lastly, 6 speakers may be overkill, depending on the size/noise level and of course your paging system. If it`s in a relatively quiet plant and your max run is 150 feet, I`m sure you could get away with fewer. Most office areas are covered by the sets, but ceiling speakers can be used where none are located.

Schlum

Schlum -
Thanks for the info. I will need the 6 speakers and maybe more - it is for an office environment. Two floors and speakers to be placed in generally in various common areas where there is a single phone, but it is often tied up keeping others in the area from hearing pages.

I am going to use either Valcom or Viking as a controller/amp/power suppy I think. Does any one have opinions about brands?

Any opinions about mounting in a 2x4 drop ceiling grid -- probably will work out, but pointers would be very welcome.

If you are doing several floors and areas, consider using a zone paging module ahead. This will allow choices depending on time of day, who needs to be paged and how often etc. I'm sure Viking makes one and I know Bogen does too. A simple ZPM 3 would be all you need. If you can avoid whichever one terminates on it's face with 66 style connectors (one of the Bogens) it's a terrible way to do it.

PhM

Valcom is the paging system I install. You would need to get a control unit and a power supply for the speakers. Some control units have their own power source built in, but depending on the number and type of speakers, you may need an additional power source. If you`re just using ceiling speakers, the control unit power source will probably suffice, as the ceiling speakers are only 2 watts, I believe. Talk to your rep. They can get you the guidelines for what power source you`ll need. They also have a zoned control unit if you want to go that route as well.

Mounting them in the ceiling tiles is a piece of cake. The speakers come with a template to cut it out. Just follow the instructions.

Valcom, Bogen and Viking are makes that you see most of the time, at least up here in Canada. You`ll probably be safe sticking to one of these three.

Schlum

Valcom is and has been our company standard for paging equipment and we've had great success with it.
DueE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back