Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External modem connection on older-style cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonesaz

Vendor
Dec 18, 2006
US
I am working on a Definity that does not answer with modem tone on the aux port. The SAT is dead as well, so I would like to connect an external modem. The documentation says to use the data port on the backplane behind the processor board, but there is an old SMDR system plugged into that port. If I disconnect the SMDR and plug the Intuity US Robotics modem into that same port, should it work? Or are there other connection options? Thanks in advance.

Hardware platform?
duplicated?
Definity software version?

Processor board part number?

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

I suggest you hook up your laptop, ect to the SAT port and gain access that way for now and find out whats going on, not a big deal to do that. Sure you have the correct ext # on the aux port or even a station assigned there? Get another SAT or your laptop going !!

...bob...

Definity G3 R6 (if I remember.) The documentation was on site so I looked up the external connection - TN790 processor - I left some of that out because I got that far... Verified both number and dial tone on aux port with butt set.

My exceedingly dumb question. I have never connected a laptop to the sat port. My laptop doesn't have a serial port; what would the connection be? Would it use terranova at that point? Hyperterminal? Are there instructions somewhere I could look at? That would be great.

inads line T & R connect to violet-slate pair of the Aux cable. If the modem does not answer, have you reloaded the g3si? (power down and power back up)
Try calling modem line again after a reboot. The modem is built into the tn790. If modem still does not work, you will need a tn790 or tn790B with the same or hihger software load that is flashed onto the current processor board.

SAT terminal serial port connected to laptop should be used with a terminal emulator that supports AT&T 4410, 4425, 513
You can use Terranova, Procomm, Tutty, Hyperterm, Putty, ASA, on a PC connected to the serial port of a PC.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

If you have Terranova still that's about as easy as you can get, get yourself a usb/serial adapter for your laptop (work fine) heck Radio Trash has em..Terranova setup new switch, line connection, modem>1200/2400/9600, You should be able to get into it if like BSH says TN 790 is good...might take a try or two to get it to answer...( be patient)

...bob...

The SAT is a 25-pin connection coming off the back of the terminal. I didn't crawl behind the cabinet; is it serial at the other end? I have the 25 to serial to usb to laptop that works for win spm on magix. if it is 25 pin would that work? I am going to try the reboot first. Thank you.

Yep..hopefully the reboot does the trick but if not your existing connection with work fine with your laptop especially with DSA/ASA then you can use the "direct serial connection" in the add new switch screen and you should be gold...
Good Luck

...bob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back