Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I have a custom made desktop that dual boots Windows XP SP3 and Linux Ubuntu 18.4. My question is can I have one external Hard Drive partition to handle both the Windows XP backups on one partition and the Linux Ubuntu backups on another partition? My Windows XP OS is on a 500gb hard drive and the Linux OS is on a 1TB hard drive. The Linux OS is the primary startup OS.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Yes, but you have left a lot of information out of the picture if we are to help you out on this project. What software are you using to create the backups? How many backups are you wanting to keep of each OS? Are you doing full backups or just file/folder backups? How much space is each OS actually occupying? What is the GB/TB space size on your external drive? Are you trying to have your external HDD be an exact mirror of the current XP/Linux drive where if it died you could boot off of your external? What is the end game?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I not sure what software I will be using. Nor do I know right now how much space each OS will occupied. I'm thinking about using a 1 0r 2 TB SSD if possible. Some drives come with the software needed to do backups. I do want the external HDD be an exact mirror of the current XP/Linux drive where if it died I could boot off of it.

Is your XP and Linux installs on the same HDD but on different partitions or are they on different HDDs all together?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

My Windows XP OS is on a 500gb hard drive and the Linux OS is on a 1TB hard drive. The Linux OS is the primary startup OS.

My first instinct is to say no but that is a conditional no.
What method ore you planning to use to access the external hard drive? Booting from a USB external will set up the drive to boot but I'm not aware of anything that will change the setup once you are up and running or to change the setup before it is booted.
Doing it on SCSI is another story. You set up the drive as internal even though it is external. 1 drive, 2 partitions. XP loaded first.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back