Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Hard Drive Setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzDan

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
We are running SBS 2000 Server at our office. Yesterday our
tape drive died. I am looking into the Iomega 120GB External Desktop Hard Drive. My question is how difficult is it to setup? Are there any major changes I need to do?
I will probably use USB to connect, or should I go for the
FireWire card? Thanks for any and all your help.

I was researching this same alternative myself when my tape drive was getting flakey. I got the tape drive replaced under warranty, so I didn't research it any further.

I remember comparing some different external hard drives, and it seemed that the throughput with one particular Seagate USB ext drive was better than any of the ones that used FireWire, so I was going to opt for that Seagate USB external drive.

If you're familiar with those tiny USB pen drives, that have only 128MB or 256MB, I think they all work on the same principal.

What made me nervous was whether or not I could get my ArcServe to backup to it, or if it would only do tape drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back