Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Hard Drive recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLoca

Programmer
Aug 29, 2005

So I am learning the hard way, yet again, that you get what you pay for. My one year old Simpletech External hard drive sounds like it's getting ready to buy the farm. It thrashes and labors and sometimes won't let me access my files. So I am going to have to replace it. Unless someone has a suggestion otherwise.

Can anyone recommend a good solid hard drive that can tolerate daily usage without ending up having a breakdown?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Nila __________________________________________________________________
Life would be so much easier if I only had the source code.

I don't think you can go wrong with Seagate. Fry's usually has some good deals on Seagate external drives.
A couple months ago I bought a 160GB for $50.
I just bought a 250GB Maxtor external for $50 (just couldn't resist the deal) but I trust Seagate more than Maxtor (I know, I know, Seagate owns Maxtor now but I imagine Maxtors are still using Maxtor technology, not Seagate's).

Seagate is what I would get also if you can just get the drive and put it in your case it would be good if not just buy them seperate drive and case will be about 120.00 for 320gb.

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

I've used them all...six of one half a dozen of the other, but I really like the Seagate 7200.10 series. If I were assembling a new external drive I would recommend getting an eSATA PCI card ($35-40) and an eSATA enclosure ($35-40). Your transfer speed will be noticeably faster and MUCH more robust than USB or F/W.

If you're using USB you will find IDE drives are more expensive! Hard to beat 500GB for $100:

or a few more bucks for the 7200.10:

Size does matter!

Thanks for the great advice, I'll look at the Seagates and see what I can come up with.

Nila __________________________________________________________________
Life would be so much easier if I only had the source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back