Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Forwarding a Target Line without using a phone extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadbased

Vendor
Feb 7, 2007
US
I've done this before using an analog extension, forwarding it to a Route I created that in turn sends the call to a Destination phone number.

Is there another way to set this up without using a phone (digital or analog) extension?

Line Redirection.

You will need a digital phone to set up Line Redirection. Once it is redirected though, you will no longer need it. You don't have to worry about routes and destination either: Line Redirection only requires an external phone number.

Line Redirection is pretty well explained in the System Coordinator Guide: Forwarding your calls > Line Redirection. Roughly, here are the steps you will have to go through:
[ol 1]
[li]Choose a M7208, M7310, M7324, T7208, T7316 or T7316E to set up Line Redirection.[/li]
[li]In programming, make sure the target line to redirect is set to Appear & Ring or Appear Only.[/li]
[li]In programming, make sure the Terminals & Sets > [DN] > Capabilities > Allow Redirect setting is set to Yes.[/li]
[li]Press Feature 84 to enter Line Redirection programming.[/li]
[li]Press the * key or the ADD softkey to create a new redirection.[/li]
[li]Press an Intercom key (if you have a PRI trunk) or an outgoing line (if you have anything else).[/li]
[li]Dial the external phone number where the calls must be redirected, then press the Hold button or the OK softkey.[/li]
[li]Press the target line button to redirect, then press the Hold button or the OK softkey.[/li]
[li]Press the Release button to exit Line Redirection programming.[/li]
[li]Call the redirected target line to make sure everything works properly.[/li]
[/ol]

Finally, you can remove the target line appearance. The system will handle the redirection, so the target line doesn't have to be assigned.

External Call Forward, which you used with an analog phone that was forwarded to some destination, only works as long as the ATA is connected to the system. That is because the set itself performs the forwarding.

I had heard that if the system looses power or is rebooted that the forwarding will drop, is this true? Will there every be any conditions were the forwarding will loose it programing?

davidwalters said:
I had heard that if the system looses power or is rebooted that the forwarding will drop, is this true?

Yes and no.

Forwarding and Redirection are retained as all other settings on the system.

You can think of them as any other programming under the Terminal & Sets and the Lines headings, except that they are programmed using the Feature 4 and the Feature 84 codes.

If the system looses power, no forwarding nor redirection occurs, but it only lasts for the duration of the power outage. If there are active calls when the power is lost, they are disconnected.

The same thing happens when the system is being rebooted: no forwarding nor redirection occurs for the duration of the reboot. If there are active calls, they are disconnected just before the system reboots.

davidwalters said:
Will there every be any conditions were the forwarding will loose it programing?

I can think of two things:
[ul]
[li]A defective piece of hardware[/li]
[li]Resetting programming, by accepting a cold restart or using the STARTUP utility[/li]
[/ul]

Line Redirection does not work, I programmed the target line to appear and ring, programmed the T7316E to allow redirection, I set the redirection via feature 84, select intercom so it goes out on their PRI, I select intercom and redirect the line button.
When I call the redirected target line number I go to their switchboard operator. I checked to make sure their carrier allows transfers away from their PRI and that's okay.
Any ideas what the problem might be?

I resorted back to using an analog extension from an available ASM port and forwarded to a dest number (using forward no answer 2 rings in Capabilities)with a new route that dials the external number, works fine.
I sure would like to know why the line redirection doesn't work, we're an XC6.1 out here, would that have any limitations. I tried the line redirection from other phones and different lines etc and no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back