Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External floppy drive not working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekanic

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
CA
Hi

I am the owner of a Compaq Presario X1000 notebook and purchased a Mitsumi D353 FUE External Floppy back in October which was simply a PnP device and has worked properly for the past two months. I turned my computer on the other day, however, and found it unable to detect my external drive. The driver CD supplied with the product is only good for systems up to and including Windows '98 and my computer is running XP Home which won't acknowledge that CD at all. My question is, is there any way I can repair this connection because the drive is NOT faulty? Or is there something going on with the USB ports?
HELP!!

Mekanic, Did you change/add/remove ANYthing on the system between the time it worked and the time it didn't?

Mitsumi says: Install this file if you are using the USB FDD in Windows 98. **Drivers for later Windows are included in Windows.**

How is the drive powered (USB leech or seperate)?
Is the device recognised in another system via the USB port?
Have you tried plugging it into one of the other USB ports on the laptop?

Try looking for the driver on the manufacturer's webpage. It's worth a try!

Jay

Try this:

Remove the drive from the system
Shut down
Power the machine back on and let it boot into windows
Shut down
Reattach the device
Power the machine back on
See if you can access it

If that fails you can try removing the drivers and trying again or check for the drivers for XP

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

**Drivers for later Windows are included in Windows.**
Does nobody read follow-ups before posting? According to Mitsumi, the manufacturer, Windows XP etc should have the drivers inbuilt. (or at least on the windows install disk).

Mekanic - please try the options in my first reply and let's know what's happening.

thanks to all who advised me about my external floppy drive. Since the floppy worked on my desktop USB port I knew there wasn't anything wrong with the hardware device.
Windows did recognize it again and the drivers reinstalled.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back